inTank Media Baskets

After so long..finally

tiepilot68

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks...will prolly get em in tomorrow.

You have any advice on the detrius that seems to build up on my sand bed and rocks?

The_Barbe-Hatten_Project

If you have ditrius building up on your sand bed then you don't have enough flow in the tank... a lack of flow could cause some bad algea blooms later on...

Hmm. I've got too very good powerheads, but I do have em both pointed towards the surface of the water. Would pointing one down towards the rocks and such be better?

The_Barbe-Hatten_Project

yeah bro... you need good water movement all over the tank... if you have sufficient surface aggitation then you need to get some movement over your rocks so that chemicals can be processed and exported by the bacteria and what not... plus corals need water movement... and you're gonna put you're corals on your rocks...

Bad news....My Gramma died today of Ick....he was fine yesterday morning, then by last night he was covered with it and scratching himself on rocks. Then, today when I got home from work..found em dead.

Now, my remaining clown is looking kinda funny. The tips of his fins are kinda whitish and fuzzy and he has been pooping all day, but he IS eating good though and still very hungry.

Is there a way to treat ick that wont harm coral?

I would do a Fresh Water dip. Just make sure that the pH and the Temperature of the Fresh Water is the same as the main tank. after you have the pH and Temperature is good, just net out your fishie and let him swim around in the fresh water for about 10 minutes. Then net him back out and place him into the main tank. This should kill ANY parasites on him. BE SURE TO HAVE THE pH AS THE SAME AS THE MAIN TANK'S pH. Other wise it will be like dipping your fish in acid!!!

HTH B)

Thanks Travis. Kinda got sidetracked on the whole fish dying thing. Haven't developed my roll yet, but will soon.

I have read on here that using garlic oil can help..so I diced up a clove real fine and packed it around some food for about 10 mins then fed the food minus the garlic to him. He ate it up fast, so here is hoping.

I dont have any PH up or down chemicals yet...how can I raise or lower my PH to match my tanks?

Alrighty....Soaked some food in garlic last night and did a fresh water dip.... and coming home from work today....

HE'S ALIVE!

He looks alot better than he did last night....no poopy string hanging from him and no white spots that I can see.

His fin tips still look a little cloudy and there is a small light reddish blemish on a white part, but he is alive and eating very well.

I really hope he pulls through!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Heya Travis!

Its been a good long while since I have posted on this thread. Work has kept me very busy, but I'll try to keep things goin.

Welp..my tank now as it stands...Both of my clowns are now gone. I currently have a Blenny and a striped Damsel...both hardy because I figured I really need to get a handle on things before I once again try clowns or harder fish.

Right now my tank is having a constant battle with algae. Long green haired...and that nasty red. Last week I noticed that my wife had been getting distilled water from a different wal-mart than I do. I read the jugs and realized that the source between hers and mine were different and hers wasnt ROed! Thus my algae problem.

Yesterday I put in a filter bag of Phosphate removing pellets into my HOB filter and took out as many rocks as I could (that didnt have coral attatched) and brushed them off good.

Will see if it makes a difference...if not..I'm resorting to Chemi-clean.

My corals are doing very well though...I have a fairly large toadstool that is getting along well and a finger leather that is growing nicely...and also my button polyps are doin good.

Strange with them...I anchor them down very well..only to find them in a different spot about every few days. (they are not attached to any rock yet)

Welp...thats whats goin on in a nutshell..if anyone has algae killing advice..lemme know...my blenny hates the red stuff and seldome eats the long haired green.

Til next time

Lon

• 2 months later...

Ok, long overdue update.

Through Chemi-clean and WEEKLY 20% water changes I have gotten rid of most of my algae. I have no more red slime algae at all and just a little bit of hairy brown which I scrub off wherever possible.

I've gotten a beautiful Tomato Clown and a yellow tail damsel for contrast. Both get along very well surprisingly.

My finger coral and button polyps did not survive my battle with red slime and I wish that I had used Chemi-clean earlier as that took care of the problem in 2 days time.

My leather toadstool is doing wonderful and is growing large...and I Fragged him by accident!!! :D

I rearanged my rocks a few weeks ago when cleaning and tore a tiny piece of the base off of the leather while I was seperating two rocks..(he was attached to both).

The tiny little piece that was left on the other rock is now growing and has visible polyps..lol

Expert fragger and didnt even know it! :P

Also, I've not noticed any real growth of coraline algae on my live rock yet... Will adding calcium help? I use reef crystals when doing water changes and thought that would add enough, but so far no great growth. I do have some of the pinkish stuff on my glass...and a few spots here and there on my rocks..but none of the great looking purple stuff that can be found in pictures of Travis' tank..(great tank btw..very nice)

Will post pics when possible!

(I need a digital camera bad! hehe)

All seems to be going well tiepilot68 :). You may want to try Oceanic Salt, or maybe Instant Ocean. I dose Calcium once a week and I have coraline growing out my...yeah so it definantly hlps ;)

I can't wait for pictures :D.

I'll try doseing with some calcium then. I use Instant Ocean's Reef Crystals now but honestly.....all the problems that I have had are really due to my lack of maintaining my water change schedules. Shame on me!

So kiddies..lesson here...CHANGE that water on a regular basis! Especially if your like me and have no protein skimmer.

By the way..anyone gotta protein skimmer fer sale cheap? lol

Lon

tiepilot68

Update...Today I added a small rock of zoos with about 24 polyps on it. They have a bright green outer ring with an orange and blue center..very pretty..but tiny at the moment. Also added a neon green mushroom..about the size of a quarter right now.

Also...I have a hitch-hicker on my zoo rock.

What does a baby bristleworm look like????

This thing looks like about a half in long inch worm when fully expanded..maybe a quarter of an inch at rest..kinda milky grey looking.

Not sure at all what it is...living in a very tiny hole in the rock at the moment...will get a pick if I can..but its pretty small.

If any ideas..lemme know

Lon

tiepilot68

heya travis. I agree..I need to get some new pics goin here.

I cant fing the worm thingy today..it might of been some sort of amphipod or something...I know my zebra legged hermit crabs have really taken an interest to the rock the zoos came in on.

I have noticed that during the start of this thread you were very diligent in testing for ph, no2, no3 and ammonia but I have not seen any tests for calcium, po4 or dkh... Is the coralline coming along? If not, are you testing for calcium or just relying on your changes? I would like to see some pictures if you have them.. Do you have a digi-cam yet?

Happy 4th!

tiepilot68

Heya Dee. No I am ashamed to admit that I dont have any test kits for calcium po4 or dkh. I really should get them, because ya I am relying now on my water changes and dosing of calcium once weekly..(1/4 teaspoon to 20 gallons)

No digi cam yet...need to bug my brother-in-law for his I guess so I can get some pics up faster.

Will see what I can do this week. Everything is doing fairly well...corals are doing great..polyps fully extended..etc.

Both my fish are doing very well also..eating well and getting along with one another nicely.

My brittle star comes out every night and cleans up the place. I do still see some agressive brownish green algae on my rock and have to scrub them once a week with my water changes. Algae grows faster in a clean tank, I have learned due to the fact that the white substrate reflects more light. And also by cleaning my rocks I eliminate competition for algae that I cant get to or dont see yet...so straglers get to feed on any nutrients that might be in my tank, if any.

Does the battle with algae ever end? sheesh!! lol

Guess its time for me to save up for a protien skimmer and time for me to add a refugium.

Travis..if you read this..can you link me to your great post on how you made your closed loop system? I remember reading it a while back. Great post, learned alot from it. :)

Alrighty..till next time

Lon

Archived