Coral Vue Hydros

After so long..finally

tiepilot68

Hmm...never thought of that. I sure dont want to do that. The reason I've chosen Occ clowns is because most of them are tank raised and not taken from the wild. I'll see about doing what you did and get a large one and a small one and let nature go for it. hehe.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alrighty, I ordered my two Ocellaris clowns yesterday (thursday the 6th) and they should be in by next weekend.

With them on the way, I am wondering..what does everyone feed their Clowns?? I dont have any shrimp yet to produce nice lil babies for them to eat from time to time, so am just wondering what you fine folks recommend.

On a side note... On the way home from work today a woman ran a stop sign and t-boned me. It totaled my truck, but luckily I wasnt hurt...just kinda sore in the neck at the moment. I'm sure I will be busy the next few days chasing down insurance papers and people to get everything squared away.

It was a pretty bone jarring wreck and I think I seen my Aquarium's life pass right before my eyes! It was awefully short..hehe I always try to remember what the important things in life are and things like this just seem to confirm those thing's importance.

I'm not one to be quoting bible versus here..heh but I do remember a verse where god says to "Keep your mind on good things" I actually think Reef Keeping falls into this catagory.

There is something good and pure about creating a good environment for beautiful, living creatures to grow, be happy and healthy.

I guess thats why deep down we all love it so much.

Ok.../sermon off ;)

Take care all!

Lon

heya gang, as promised here are a couple of pictures of my new rock work.

I am SO ready to get my happy lil fishies next weekend! (Have already named then without seein them. Coral and Kona) And even more ready to start adding inverts. :)

So here ya go

Full Tank shot with the new and improved/more natural looking rockwork!

028.jpg

And a detail of my center cave and far right cave. Goood hiding places :)

024.jpg

Let me know what you think of this setup as opposed to the other way I had things.

Not seein much purple yet...but went to my LFS and they gave me a couple of 1 or 2 inch pieces of rock with purple coraline on them to help seed my rock. Hope it works well!

Will post more as things progress.

Thanks, Travis.

But ..not lookin so good now! BROWN ALGEA! AAAHH!!!

I came home from work today to find a nice yucky covering of brown algea covering most of my rocks and a bit of my glass..(scraped the glass).

Whats the best critters to get that stuff? I know Blennys wont touch it....Snails?

Travis, thanks very much for the link and the info!

Today I got a few turbo snails and some caulpera(sic) and the tank already looks better than it did last night. :)

My clowns arrive tomorrow! Will it be ok to add them during this battle of the algaes, or should I ask the LFS to hold them a week or so?

Thanks again!

Have you already paid for the clowns? If not, I'd ask the LFS to hold them for a week and make sure they don't have ick or any othe disease. but if not, then you are OK to add them to your tank as long as your water params are ok.

Just got home with them. :) I tested my water params just now. Ammonia 0 Nitrite 0 Nitrates just a trace..like .05 or so...(dang color coded cards).

PH good ... SG good...

They are floating now... and SO COOL lookin! 8-)

Sorry..bear with me..my very very 1st Marine fish..heh

Will take and post pics by this weekend hopefully.

Lon

Hey man sounds good. Do they show any signs of stress or Ick? If not that Exilent ;)!!!

BTW, are they Wild caught or tank Bread? You probly said in an earlier post, but I am to lazy to look it up :P

No signs of stress so far...they have been hiding in a cave for a bit but are out now and looking for things to eat. They are hanging out together so far, sometimes separating but usually end up near one another again. One is a bit smaller than the other and is having a harder time in my current...the black on him isnt as dark and he appears more pale.

Which brings me to a question...I have two decent sized power heads running..I turned one off because it seemed they were really fighting to swim, but is a strong current hard on them? If not I will turn the other one back on to keep good circulation in my tank.

When you feed yours, do you turn your circulation off so they can get at the food before it gets whipped around?

About tank or wild caught....I asked for Ocellaris because they are more often tank bred, but I am not certain...I'll ask my LFS for sure tomorrow. They dont seem to hide or get nervous at all when I come near the glass though.

But so far all in all they seem to be doing great. My tiny Zebra hermit rounded a corner and came face to face with them for the 1st time. He seemed a bit intimidated by the new large orange things in the tank..but went on his zippy buisness quickly.

Pics soon!

Lon

Can't wait for the pics ;)

I'd say keep the Both PHs on.

When I feed, I keep the Wavemaker on. For some reason, my clowns WILL NOT eat food that isn't moveing. They seem to be much more interested in the food that moves verry rapid in the water current.

Hmm..I did notice them chasing after little bits of debris. This supports what you say. :)

Ok..back on comes the left PH...(the bigger one wont like it...hes hangin out over there..lol )

Alrighty....both PHs on. The big one moved over into the smaller ones cave....lol and the smaller one decided to find a new hiding spot. Hope they start to get along better..

I'll put off feeding them til tomorrow I think....they may be too stressed now to eat, and I dont want to waste it and add to the bio load.

Lets hope all goes well tonight and until I get back from work tomorrow!

( I gotta make me a banner thingy soon..seen Tigah's article on it...gotta give it a go. )

Welp, bad news.

Came home from work today to find my smallest clown dead..poor guy just lying there on the floor behind some rocks. :(

After I removed him my other clown came over and swam around the area looking for his lost friend..it was so sad!

My LFS doesnt give refunds.....but am gonna try to pick another up as soon as I make sure this guy is gonna do well. I want to introduce them into the tank fairly close together so they will pair up.

I had noted last night before bed that he (the sick clown) was very pale in color and his bottom fins were tucked up tight underneath him.

Poor little fella... :(

I agree....I think I got one of both somehow. The one that is left isnt skiddish at all and seems to like watching me in my office, while the one that died always tried to hide away and was very shy when I came near the tank.

Thanks, Below. :) I'm looking forward to the day I finally introduce some corals!

Update on the remaining clown..he seems to be doing healthy..seen him eat some food then spit it out...I guess he's taking some in..(I hope)

He seems to just hand out in his corner swimming up against the glass....rubbing his nose on it all the time....Hope he comes out of that and visits the rest of the tank.

Will keep ya all posted!

hehe..so its the weekend. But not for me! I work saturdays! lol

I'll get my film developed tomorrow and post by tomorrow night or sunday. :)

Archived