Pod Your Reef

Cuttlefish Nano

FAC_WNY

Hey all,

Just thought I'd run this thought past you, now that it seems you can't go anywhere online (or at my local LFS) without running into our chromatophored little friends, the cuttlefish. (Tank Raised specimens apparently)

So I was thinking.....(this is how most of my troubles start..lol)

A 20 gal Long with live rock, a full reef setup (sans shrimp and smaller slow fish), with a cuttlefish. Of course, the shrimp are out, but given the choice between shrimp and cuttlefish...cuttlefish wins hands down every day of the week..lol. I was also wondering if you guys think a clown that's hosting in an anemone would be safe from a cuttle? (Nature at work...) I don't think a clown without one would stand much of a chance..they aren't the world's fastest smimmers.

Just a thought..anyone else thinking the same way or differently is free to chime in.

Cheers,

Fred

I think cuttlefish would be very hard to sustain in a 20g long. I was under the impression that they grew to over a foot in length. Unless you are speaking of some kinda of aquacultured "dwarf" cuttlefish. Considering their (and other cephalopods') very short life span (maybe a year or so), they would probably reach their adult sizes faster than you can say "Yellow Tang in a nano."

And in a 20g, no nano-fish (whether super fast or slow) will be able to evade the very agile cuttlefish. He will easily move around and rearrange LR. He is the ultimate escape artist.

Also, if you spook them and they release the ink...I'm sure in a 20g, the water would quickly become toxic and then you got wipe out city.

These are very cool little guys, but I don't think I've ever seen them sold at the LFS.

A lot of our local LFS are getting in the aquacultured specimens. And I did misread the max size on the species offered for sale..my bad. (Somehow saw 4" instead of 1'4"...lol)

I'll go back to the "read harder next time" corner..lol

And also consider setting up a largish species tank..lol.

Cheers,

Fred

Yeah, we tried to raise them back when I was in undergrad for our Animal Behavior lab. SUCH a PITA to keep happy. Always trying to escape and the water in their tanks would keep getting fouled up by their messy eating.

Cephalopods are extremly hard to care for. Do you know about all the minimum requirements or are you asking for care tips? I would try an ocotopus before a cuttle and even that would be a huge challenge. There are octos that are a suitable size for a nano but I thought that cuttles need a minimmum 70-100 gallon? I never kept them, I'm just saying what I know from books.

I ended up misreading the max size (I read it as 4 inches...it's really 1 foot, 4 inches..lol), hence the reason I suggested a cuttle nano. My bad..but it will still be a killer species tank/species reef.

Cheers,

Fred

• 3 weeks later...

u need a shallow and deep tank with copper free water and a good protien skimmer incase it releases its toxins amd a god oxygen supplyand a closed off hood .......try a blue ringed octo i heard u can take those out and play with them(<

10" Red Devil

They sure are cool, but I think it would be next to impossible to keep them from inking.

If there was some sort of filter that could take care of the inking that would be cool. I mean if you are there, then you could easily dilute the ink with a water change, but when your not there is what worries me.

Wonder what the composition of the ink is?

Archived