ReefCleaners.org

Im confused about SG

Angel Higuera

Angel Higuera

I've had FOWLR tanks with an SG of 1.023 w/o trouble.

Now, im new to reefs. What is the SG you guys use? I've heard several diffrent numbers. Whats the best?

Also will low SG like 1.021 kill my live Locks? I just set my 20H tank up with 12 lbs. its cycling now at 79 degrees with an SG of 1.021.

-Angel

I have mine at 1.025 as well (checked via refracto)...but instead of trying to hit this exact salinity, be sure to keep your tank STABLE. meaning, do not let your salinity drop or increase suddenly in a short period of time. So be sure to do top-offs regularly or else shifting the salinity down too fast will lead to serious ill-effects in your corals and fish.

In other words, if you find that you have reached 1.023, no need to constantly mess with the salinity to hit a certain number (like 1.025)...instead, be sure to maintain your tank at 1.023 at all times and your reef will be happy.

But 1.021 is definitely pretty dang low.

AReeferIsExpensive

I started at 025 but then i heard lower salinity = less chance of fish disease...therefore i keep mine at the low end of the recommended range. However, Ive seen amazing tanks at 1.026, so its all opinion based IMO

Archived