Innovative Marine Aquariums

Sump or Refugium?

flex13

ProFlatlander15

i would def go fuge. its like a sump, but it has stuff in it. why wouldnt you? lol yea fuge cuz it takes out all the bad stuff (trates, etc) and u can still hide stuff in it like heaters. uh... i dont kno bout the protein skimmer. im sure it can be done, i just dont kno if it would rob the macro in the fuge of nutrients it would use to grow... i run 10 gal fuge w/ no skimmer and my tank is fine.

Thanks ProFlatlander15

I also think a skimmer will rob nutrients but i am not sure if this is true. I also read your water might turn slight yellow with a (fuge) and the skimmer will fix the problem.. Anyone seen this problem?

The reason for asking sump or fuge, i know poeple just running sump with filter media and protein skimmer thats it. Tanks looks sweet, but here everone uses fuge and the tanks look sweet too.

as always, it depends on what you want to accomplish in your tank. sump will help you increase tank volume and get rid some of the equip that would normally found in the tank. a fuge can also increase tank volume but also help in the export excess nutrients (ie macro algae or lr rubble), and suppliment the pod production. although it is possible to overskim, in a nano it is probably less of a worry because of the frequent water changes, which replaces nutrient loss. same goes for yellow water, water changes fix it. ideally, the fuge should be a slow flow area. a skimmer hooked directly to a fuge may change the dynamics of feeding the fuge inhabitants.

I have a fuge with the skimmer at the end of the water flow where the return pump is located. That was the incoming water flows through the fuge area then into the chamber where the skimmer is located. I had it custom made and it's really nice.

what do you want to keep in the tank? a lot of fish, sps coral, then recommend a skimmer. just softies, then no skimmer. more info you provide the better details the nr can provide.

ProFlatlander15

i just DIYed a 10 gal where the water passes through mechanical and chemical (carbon, chemi-pure, etc) media before it gets to the fuge. i think yellow water can also be cleared up w/ activated carbon along with water changes.

Thanks Etoh_is_good for the help

Now i might have to start a new thred but does anyone know who makes customs sumps without leaving me with an empty wallet?

ProFlatlander15

i did a 10 gal for about 70 bucks...of course i had stuff lying around, but below is what it would have costed.

10 gal-$10

PVC and fittings-$10

return pump- mag drive 2-$35

plexiglass to create baffles-$10

silicone-$5

A fuge is just a sump with gravity feed back to the tank (so pods dont die from impeller) and stuff in it for pods to grow in.

For nutrient export, you can have macro in a sump just fine, as long as it has light.

You can actually have plenty of pod action even w/ a return pump bringing back water to your tank instead of gravity fed. And most larger tanks have fuges set-up this way instead of those hang on the back doohickies that gravity feeds them back down into a display.

I've seen pods literally get sucked into my return pump and end up at the main display intact and alive. I'm sure some become toast, but you'll still have a lot of pods and pod babies, which will grow into adult pods.

ah..ic. I don't know what the size is, but it's a Dolphin Tankmaster series water pump and folks use it for return pumps...standard ph's don't make good return pumps for larger tanks and for the same reason you mentioned.

ProFlatlander15

actually now that i look at my pic, i will let you kno that i do have an overlfow box behing my display, so scratch the intake is 1" below water level part. also, see the overflow in my fuge? that is where i placed my mechanical/chemical filtration. my pic is a bitmap so it might take a lil while to load, good luck

Archived