Pod Your Reef

Pygmy Cherub Angelfish

EtOH_is_good

Pygmy Cherub Angelfish (Centropyge argi)

AKA: Cherubfish, Atlantic Pygmy Angelfish

Average Size: 1"-2.5"

Nano Reef Size: No smaller than 20 gallons, with 30 gallons preferred with numerous hiding places among the live rock.

Aggressiveness/Territorial: Yes, especially against the same species, although breeder pairs can be kept in much larger tanks.

Origin: Caribbean, coral and rock rubble area with lots of caves and crannies.

Hardiness: Moderate, good for nano reef keepers with at least 6 months experience.

Description: This fish has a blue/sapphire blue body with yellow/orange face.

Behavior: Cherub angels are semi aggressive and do not get along with other dwarf angels. Smallest territory in the wild would be close to the size of a 55 gallon tank. They can sometimes be shy when first introduced to a new tank. Some species can spend ¼ to ½ of their time hidden in the rocks. They will quickly dart in among the rocks if disturbed. Should be the last fish introduced into the tank.

Feeding: Omnivore. Spirulina, marine algae, dried algae (nori), filamentous algae in tank, flake and frozen foods for herbivores, and eventually most any food including those for carnivores. Allow for some algae growth on live rock for the fish to pick at because it can make up a large part of its diet. Will also feed off of tank detritus.

Hazards: Depending on the animal, it may or may not be reef safe. May feed off of coral slime and irritate coral to death. Must be prepared to rip apart whole tank to remove fish as they are extremely difficult to catch once in the tank.

References: reefkeeping.com (Feb 2003), solodvds.com, wetwebmedia.com

I would also like to add that although the cherub is a beautiful species, it is not the perfect "centerpiece" fish like other larger angels since they spend much of their time closer to the rockwork hiding and darting in and out of the caves and crevices. I would liken their swimming behavior more to a 6-line or 4-line wrasse than some of the larger angels of tangs I have seen.

Also, I would characterize them more as "semi-aggressive" than aggressive since I believe they are feisty towards conspecifics, but I have had no problems with them towards my other fish.

Oh, and since they are such "shy" creatures, we don't have many clear pictures of them to share. The move FAST too, so a lot of blurry pictures. Here are the few that I do have though:

9221pa2.jpg

92211129g-med.jpg

Oh, and thus far mine has been "reef-safe." I just hope he stays that way.

imo, too soon to judge if a centerpiece fish. although the cherub prefers to be near the rocks, the fish hardly keeps still. it's constant motion keeps me looking all over the tank trying to guess where it'll be swimming next.

although it was not included in the description at the top, you may notice in tigahboy's pics that the edges of the top and bottom fins are a lighter color of blue. so it's just not another boring yellow and blue fish.

i'll probably be able to get a decent pic soon. my cherub has settled into his home quite well. 1) extended the range of swimming to open spaces just beyond the rocks, 2) swimming doesn't solely consist of darting in and out of the rocks. now will swim slower in open spots near the rocks as it looks for something to eat, and 3) i know the spots where he hangs out.

feeding. definately eats cyclopeeze and frozen formula angelfish cubes. doesn't eat all the mixed algae flakes yet. i've also seen the cherub nipping at spots of hair algae in the tank. trying not to overfeed, but since he's always nipping at the rock i'm worried that he may start into the coral if i don't feed enough. going to be worried when i'm on vacation.

I think mine is the "oldest" of the most recent wave of cherub purchases, but then again it's still only been a little over 2 weeks.

He definitely swims out more in the open than the first few days or week, but I was simply referring to the fact that if you want a substitute for a Yellow Tang, this fish will not likely be the best fit. Generally speaking, the smaller angels are more prone to staying closer to rockwork as a survival instinct anyway. It is doubftul that it will swim w/ the confidence that a Tang would have in open waters.

But I agree, only time will tell.

Oh, and another neat tidbit. My cherub will swim to the tank walls and spend a lot of time "pecking" at the thin film of algae on my acrylic. I see all these tiny circular clear patches everywhere. But, he works too slow for me so I pick up the slack w/ my scraper.

tangs are looking for an escape to open space. reminds me of tigars or bears in zoos just pacing back and forth. they're going crazy without their roaming room.

tigah is thinking of how to rearrange his lr to better display his precious new corals. u know that i'm right.

changed at name at top, but can't rename thread. i don't think i have the power.

$10 is cheap. and i live closer to the atlantic. doesn't seem fair.

haha...you were actually close. wow. I was thinking "i should do another test for nitrites to see if my LR is fully cured and ready to place into my display"

you're creepin me out here, man.

Has anyone considered African Flameback angels? Does anyone have any experience with them? Seems like almost the same fish except the yellow extends along the whole back, but don't know about behavior.

Hey, I'll jump in on the action here! Mine has started coming out a lot more each day. Only had him for about a week, but he's doing fine. He won't eat the flakes, really... He kinda checks them out and then swims away to eat off the rocks or powerhead or glass... whatever he feels like pecking at... I'm going to have to go get some frozen food for him this weekend because I'm afraid he'll starve since he doesn't seem to like the flakes yet... :( I don't have any corals in my tank yet (nor will I until after Christmas) so I can't offer feedback on that subject. Here is the best pic I've managed to snag of my little guy...

DSC00280.jpg

Brumania, I'm looking into getting one (or maybe a pair) of those fish. They almost look like a cherub, only a different morph. I think they cost a good bit more though.

Brumania!, i see that your jackin my thread. :angry: take a look at the references that i provided in the description at the top. i think they have addditional info for what you want right next to info for the cherub. :wizard:

But before he can do anything, here comes security (my clowns) causing him to go hide behind the rocks where he's currently picking at the back wall and the rocks behind there. So it looks like my corals are safe, for now..

Niiice. So there are 4 of us now! Hurry up and get yours, uchiha and Vic!

Great pics! Why does everyone seem to have pics w/ angels in a bag. haah. we should all post them side-by-side. actually i'll do that if you guys don't mind me using your photos. =P