Top Shelf Aquatics

Bristleworm debate

Green Shat

How many is too many? I know a lot of myths about these ugly things have been debunked recently, after discovering that they are very beneficial scavengers.

At the same time, i've heard that they can harm things such as corals and crustaceans. Can there be too many in a system?

If it seems like there is too many, it is probably due to overfeeding or you just have a phobia of bristle worms. The only ones that I have seen harming anything were on dying/dead corals and crustaceans.

matt the fiddler

dont' worry.. they are good. nothing to debate... unless you are beathing dead horses as part of your hobby :)

there is 1 or 2 species of bad bristles.. but pretty rare to see in reef tanks

I agree with Matt with one acception.

When they get large they will eat small snails. Small srabs, and lay HUGE egg sack that will clog up your filter and foul your water.

matt the fiddler

i have had them get pretty big.. 8-12" + and have not had problems with either...... still, that is the exception... every pet store for the most part tells peopel they are bad, they will eat everything... it is really sad, because they are one fo the most benefitial scavengers you can have in your tank- somethign dies, they eat it.. over feed, they eat it. etc. a great insurance against a crash, in a small tank....

i have 150 Nass snails in my 55, and they replace the function of the bristle.. but soon am going BB, so amgoign to have to try to find some friends who have a plethera of them in their rock...

if you don't want em.... mail to me :)

Standard bristle worms aren't a big deal.

Eunice worms and fire worms could be. But they are so rare in aquariums, that ppl usually don't need to be concerned w/ these predatory guys.

nothing wrong with he worms besides being ugly as all hell. I have never seen any of mine eat corals or any of my lives stock. But as soon as something dies they are ON it and by morning time it is gone. They are great if you are on vacation and something dies or if you over feed they will get what is left over. If they weren't so damn ugly i wouldn't mind seeing a few hundred now and then. However when ever i see a BIG one off guard: I get his azz out of the tank and flush him. I have more than enough to go around.

Archived