Coral Vue Hydros

Let me see your blue backgrounds

Tigahboy

I know there is a thread/poll regarding background colors, but it was very black background focused. If you have a DARK BLUE background painted on your tank, please share some PICTURES here.

I'm upgrading and can't decide between blue, black, and clear. I've seen more than enough examples of black, but not much DARK BLUE. I actually don't like how the tank appears more "dim" or look a little hazier w/ the black background. My favorite color is blue, so I figured that maybe that was an option for my personal preference...I love clear b/c the light easily passes thru the back pane w/o bouncing a lot of the light back towards the front...it seems more crystal clear w/ clear backgrounds...just sucks how you can see all the plumbing.

Also, if anyone has successfully plumbed the tank for overflow and return (and closed loop) in such a way to minimize the visibility of such tubes/pipes on a CLEAR back, please share photos as well. Thanks in advanced!

Is that light blue or dark blue?

Keep em coming...pictures w/ corals inside would also help so I can see how the blue brings out the corals' colors.

i have a dark blue background, but my tank is still cycling and my roommate took his digital camera home (Christmas break) so I won't be able to get you any pictures for about a month, but for what its worth, I really like the dark blue background on my tank. Its an acrylic cube (roughly 18 gallons) and I think it'll look great with corals in the, as it conceals all my equipment behind it. Sorry i couldnt be more helpful, but after the new year i can take some pictures for you.

and you know what mine looks like w/blue BG

attachment.php?s=&postid=378893

if you're going to go blue, i would go a shade in between "light blue" and "dark blue" ... somewhere in between. dark blue doesn't flow too well with lighting and light blue seems a lil too "LFS-like" ... so something still dark, but light enough to reflect light. i hope i'm making sense.

Do I want the light to reflect tho? Doesnt that make it a little too bright and the pictures a little washed out? I don't fully understand the pros and cons of the different types of backgrounds obviously....other than ppl saying black brings out the contrast better in corals...tho I didn't really see that happening for me when I used the black paper background.

For example, I had the hardest time getting a clear picture w/ black background...everything seemed a lot more vibrant and clear w/ clear background....any thoughts why that is? and how to avoid that?

1120c.jpg

1129a.jpg

my tank would be considered "Sky Blue" on this chart, if i could re-pick a color, i would go with Ocean Blue ...and my 2nd choice would be Electric Blue, this is just a color reference so u get an idea of what i was talking about before (with the "not too dark and not too light" thing)

not so much a beginner's question... more of a request!!

at least that's what is implied by the title of his thread ;)

i still think the tint idea is good, bluish tint... perhaps u can even try to get "dark blueish" tint somewhere, that would be ideal

so you can only edit pics, your photo skills are not (edit) up to the task eh tigahboy. start from the beginning and read nov reefkeeping mag article on article. if you already know all that garbage than probably just need to work on exposure compensation. should be in your camera's manual somewhere.

edit sorry forgot a big not originally.

Haha...no need to for innuendos, my friend. If you have something on your mind, please share freely. =)

Not all cameras are created equal. I can only do so much to improve picture quality, since there are extremely limited option on my very basic 2MP digicam.

And pointing me to a reefkeeping mag will not directly show me examples of nano-reefer's blue backgrounds now will it? The very purpose of this thread.

my bad, i thought you had a 6MP camera. in your comparison of clear and black backgrounds, you say that the clear is more vibrant. it is a result of exposure and exposure compensation. need to adjust camera to allow more exposure with the black background for a more vibrant pic. can either increase exposure time manually, or change exposure compensation. don't know if you can do it with your camera, but most cameras have a manual mode. and damn you are up late.

ps go with a shade of blue.

Archived