Equiptment

surreal

i'm pretty new to the saltwater scene and i was planning on getting a 15 gallon tall. I was wondering what kinda equiptment i should get for my tank...like the lighting and protien skimmers. I was also wondering what kinda coral and fish are good for a beginner and what kind shouldn't i get. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

15g tall is a hard tank to work with. It is only 20" across so the lights that go above it are typically smaller in size, yet your tank is bigger than a 20H. Basically, it is harder to light effectively. Really, when I look at tanks, I look at surface area when determining my bio-load I can have. This goes for fresh and salt water really. Just be aware of that. The tall tanks do look nice, but a 15L can hold more than a 15T usually.

If you are new, I think that power compact lights are the way to go. You will not be keeping the more advanced corals right way. That is a big cost differenct. If you are just trying out the reef hobby it will save you money. If you have kept a lot of fresh water and you plan on keeping your tank and want to try evreything then metal halide lights will be what you want.

Skimmers are sort of optional. Again this depends on your bioload and inhabitants. Skimmer makes fish keeping generally easier. Some inhabitants need special nutrients that may be pulled out with a skimmer. This means you may need to suplement.

I should provide a big disclaimer. I am new to this as well. This is what I have gathered from a lot of scouring of this and other sites as well as asking questions. There are two good fish stores near me that I have been able to spend an hour or so bouncing questions off of experienced reef keepers. Also, keep in mind that everyone has a different opinion. Many different sucessful reefs have been kept in a variety of ways. There does not seem to be one correct way to do it. Good luck in your research.

first welcome to nr. stay and read awhile before you set your mind on the kind of tank. take a look at other members tanks to get some ideas. learn about what you want to keep. read everything in the information section. a lot of newb question are answered in the information section. if you still don't think your questions are being addressed then try a search. if that still doesn't answer the questions ask in the beginner section. learn about what your getting involved in before buying any equipment.

thanks SmCaudata and EtOH_is_good for the advice...oh yeah i was wondering how much you guys spent to start your tanks because ive been searching and many places say it is around 400 to start a saltwater tank.

it ain't cheap. depending on how you do things it can be cheaper, but cutting corner at the beginning doesnt result in a better tank. i still think planning for $100 per gallon, but the polls on nr show between $50-75 per gallon. do a search. lights and lr run expensive even before stocking the tank.

Shop around for good prices on different pieces of equipment... a lot of times if you take a little time to search online you can find some good deals!!! I have found Liverock, filters, lighting and many other things cheaper online then at a LFS.

Good Luck!!!

Archived