Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Used Liverock question

ReefTankForMe

ReefTankForMe

I am buying a system used and the seller has 30lbs of Fiji live rock that is in a 10G tank, I think without any circulation, as the tank has been taken down for sale already. The sand (also selling) is sitting in a bucket in water. When I set up the tank can I use the sand and liverock? If there was anything that was still alive on the rock and it has died off in the past week could that somehow poison a new setup. I am not sure if the liverock was cured or uncured when the seller bought it although I think the rock was bought as dead rock (the owner said she paid about $3 a lb, but also said there may still be some things alive on it)

I am trying to get clarification from the seller but I need the help with this question because if I can't use this rock and sand, then it won't be worth buying this system. thanks

30 lbs of rock in a 10g? that's alot. is there any space for water? how long had the tank been running? if you get it for a deal then it is probably worth the time to restart the tank. depending on the die-off, it may take some time for nitrites and nitrates to become acceptable. a massive water change will help. if she had fish in the tank then i wouldn't take all the sand. take a little to populate your new sand bed, but dont take it all because more pollutants get trapped than biodiversity.

ReefTankForMe

the 30lbs of rock was actually from a 30g. that is what is for sale. The seller took down the larger tank, just to save time and stuck the rock in a 10g w/ s water just to keep it wet. The rock has been sitting in this water for a few weeks.

I am really wondering if rock can somehow become dangerous to use if it wasnt cared for properly. as for the sand, they had no fish, so I think it may be ok. Maybe I will rinse it in fw?

I plan on buying the larger tank and setting it up from scratch and recycling with the used rock and sand.

Could this be dangerous?

ReefTankForMe

Ok Here it is. Right now I have the LR all packed into a 10gal tank (still need to set-up/test the 29G). I put a little bit of the sand that I bought used in the tank. Mixed up some sw using walmart distilled and added the LR. THe temp is steady at 77 and I am keeping the light off except to check it out. There is green algee on the rock that I didn't clean off. I read in another post that I should probably scrub each peice, then return it to the tank. There is a biowheel 330 with no inserts/media for circulation. I have tested nothing but salinity and temp in this tank. Here are a few pictures.

Also here is a pic of the sand I bought, just sitting in the bucket in water right now.

Can someone give me some suggestions/next steps for the sand and the rock?

I am planning on having the big tank setup within 3-4 days.

scrube the rock only if 1) the rock has black/decaying stuff on it or 2) unwanted algae. with #2, it is better to cut/pull algae off, esp if bubble algae. most clean up crews will help clean up the short stuff. i usually don't advocate scrubbing rock because it destroys some of the biodiversity.

Archived