Coral Vue Hydros

150w or 250w MH??

vokuro

quick question. im about to purchase an aqua medic ocean light HQI pendant. i am the owner of an 18gal aqua via aquarium that stands about 18 inches tall. i am debating weather to go with the 150w or 250w. i hope to have clams, perhaps some sps and a BTRA. heres a pic of the tank for reference: 58S.txt

i apperciate any input

im getting a 250 in a few weeks for my 16x16x16 cube (little smaller than yours), just know that you may have to do something to keep it cooler in there

liquidfluidity

150w will probably work fine but for the small amount of extra money , I'd go for the 250w. If you don't , you'll regret it later. The bulbs are even about the same price and some places even charge more for the 150w. I just started putting 250w HQI together for my Eclipse 12g and will be using 2x4" fans and the canopy will be 10"-12" tall.

150w is enough for most corals in that tank...personally i think 250w might be a lil too much, but that's just me :P

here's my 150w DE HQI Retrofit in the ViaAqua 18g hood...

attachment.php?s=&postid=353816

I got an aquamedic 250 DE for my 29g tank that I am in the process of setting up. For fun, I hung it over my current 10g about a foot over the tank it is doing great. Just make sure you have a fan or something.

Without a fan, temp jumped from 79 to 86 in about an hour and probably would have kept rising. with a fan, it never goes above 82

I have a 150 de over my 29g-no heat problems, but its winter (The heater actually comes on like 15 mins after the light goes out). Thinking of uping the ballast to a 250 watt version and getting new endcaps for my regent, but I really don't think the extra light is worth, considering I have had temp problems in the past here in Maryland. Thats with a 75 gallon running two 40 watt no bulbs!

Sam

thanks everyone for the input.

uchiha: love the retrofit. im still debating on weather or not to go that route or stick with the pendant. via aqua's ballast reliability remains a question.

liquidfluidity: can you go into greater detail about your proposed canopy? id like to see what you have planned.

emurray: what was your 10g stocked with? and how long did you have the pendant over the tank?

can anyone post pics of their fan setups?

thanks a lot!

I had the 150w Aqua Medic Ocean Light...and now I have the 250w version of the Aqua Medic. I think for this specific pendant, you should go 250w b/c the price difference is EXTREMELY minimal for this quality pendant. And when you want to upgrade your tank, you can just use the same pendant (instead of having to buy another 250w and selling the 150 like I had to do). But i agree w/ all above about heat issues, so do use fans. peace.

Originally posted by uchiha

if u get a pendant, get 250w.... if you're considering the retrofit, 150w is the way to go.  problem solved...

I agree.

I need hepl understanding the fans. Where do you put the fans? Like actually small fans or ones that are on the side of pendents. Sorry if this is a stupid question. I want To get the 250w but want to understand everything first.:blush:

liquidfluidity

you might also check here http://www.reeftanklighting.com/

and look under bare hoods on the left. I still haven't ruled one of these out yet and they are pretty cheap. They also sell the reflectors that fit them. the canopy I'm making will be more for function tha eyecandy. This is a temporary situation untill I get mt 25g done and then things will be transferred. I will be using fans out of a computer power supply , wiring them to a plug so that i can plug and unplug the 12v adapter if needed. I have already done this with another hood and it works quite well.

glad this thread was revived because i also had questions about fan placement. we mask our heaters in sumps, hide the PH behind rocks, etc. only to have unsightly fans hanging around? liquid those bare hoods look enticing, however im not much of a DIY'er. any idea how much effort it would take to complete something like that? anythings possible with a proper walk-through/schematics i suppose. and perhaps tigahboy/uchiha would be so kind as to offer up some pics of their fan setups?

Archived