inTank Media Baskets

Copepod refugium

theANEMONEA

I recently tried something interesting. I used the RED SEA floruish flora base (about 4-5 inches) in a 10-gallon tank in conjunction with an inch or so of live sand, and maybe 3-4 pounds of uncured LR. I read that Copepods and amphipods and all those little guys are "burrowers," and I didn't feel like buying miracle mud. Interestingly, after a few days of running the system with a little but of current and a little DECO ART aquavase light, I noticed the Flora substrate had begun to "dissolve" in the saltwater and became more of a "mud" than a substrate. The top layer of live sand bursted with MACRO, yes MACRO, and some scattered hair algae here and there, probably due to the phosphate levels. In a week or so, copepods had dug little tunnels and were absolutely everywhere, eating whatever I put in the tank (zooplex, macro, micro, plant fertilizer, mysis, etc) and the biggest one I have seen thus far is almost half an inch. He's BLUE! what the hell is up with that? Anyway, i'm sure if couldv'e done this in a smaller tank, so if anybody wanted to confirm this test please go ahead and do so, I didn't patent the thing or anything.:|

ANEMONEA-

Sounds pretty cool. How much for the giant blue 'pod? LOL!

Is yours a stand-alone refugium? I'm a little leary of doing one in line with a main tank due to the possible leaching phoshates, etc... especially on a nano, where just a little change in chemistry could cause huge problems.

Definitely want to check it out though!

doody-

It is a freshwater plant substrate. You can find it

here.

Joe Mac

• 4 weeks later...

mmm..that substrate may be more designed for phosphate lovin freshwater plants- but it may work out ok- stash is right- a fuge is like a phosphate sponge and will rid your tank of it- i believe joe mac may be refering to the spontaneous release of spores from sexual or asexual reproduciton of the macros

oi, think of how much nitrate and phosphate that chaetomorpha has taken outta your water kogut!! lol. i loved when mine would double in size within a month or two and i would think, damn, that water must be nasty!

having a fuge definetly helped get rid of any nitrates i had. good stuff.

Archived