Top Shelf Aquatics

:: Ocean Water in Nano ::

nanomilk

Greetz.

Just curious wether or not it is safe to use ocean water to setup my tank / for water changes. I ask this considering the fact i live 5 minutes away from many sydney beaches / the coastline, and using natural ocean water would be hell cheap.... FREE....

Is this a viable option?

Or should i stick with mixing water myself?

i would stay away from near-shore water, it is usually heavily laden with pollutants. if you can get it a half mile out or so, that would be your best bet.

I would say that you'd want it to be really well filtered and from a long way off shore. There is a tap at the Scripps Inst. of Oceanography in San Diego that takes water from offshore and filters it through a few levels of sand and what not. I used this when I lived there and it worked great (oh how I miss it). Now I live on the central coast of California, (a couple of blocks to the water!) but with out the filters I wouldn't trust it. There's often some type of microbe blooming or some human contamination that can't be good for these little tanks. Also, the local waters may be different with regard to trace elements and salinity.

Definatly use ocean water even near-shore water if its relativly unpolluted because in a nano tank mixing salt water is never nearly as easy and accurate as nature. Small inconsistancies is inherant and stresses fish. Polluted water would also but if its in good shape its cheap and better than store bought. Also try and go at near slack high tide just before it goes slack when its still rushing in. Hope this helps.

just don't get the water from a really public beach. ya know, with like thousands of people playing in the water and stuff. u'll probably get more urine than saltwater. try to get it from a secluded area, away from pipes that dump stuff into the ocean and u should be okay.

i know sea crop uses real ocean water for their tanks (taken from the coast in Oxnard, CA). but then again, i'm sure they filter it first.

the folks down here in san diego use "filtered ocean" water from the scripps instutute of oceanography. hose comes straight from a pier and goes through a series of filtration devices (sand bed filters?) ... anyways, it's considered "ocean water"... but filtered. many reefers swear by this filtered sea water stuff, best thing is the hose for the water is free, and you never have to pay for salt...EVER!

Originally posted by mrabolli

Definatly use ocean water even near-shore water if its relativly unpolluted because in a nano tank mixing salt water is never nearly as easy and accurate as nature.  Small inconsistancies is inherant and stresses fish.  Polluted water would also but if its in good shape its cheap and better than store bought.  Also try and go at near slack high tide just before it goes slack when its still rushing in.  Hope this helps.

are you serious? "as accurate as nature"? i hate to break it to you, but ocean water fluctuates too. tides, currents, rain, ect... all influence the ocean's water. also, how is a refractometer not accurate? IMO, mix your water, don't trust that you're not gathering polluted ocean water.

Actually... mainstream ocean water RARELY fluctuates more than .05 points of specific gravity... and that is a the highest.

Not to mention there are also risks with artificial... someone here in boise just lost their entire tank due to a bad batch of instant ocean salt.

that's actually exactly what i meant. ocean water DOES fluctuate, albiet not that much, but neither does my artificial salt water. you are also talking about mainstream ocean water, not tidal water, which is a completely different story. and as for the bad batch of salt, i think the risk is much higher of gathering unknown pollutants or organism from near-shore ocean water than receiving a bad batch of IO. incidentally, did that guy get any sort of compensation from the company?

Hey uchia, my parents place is like 5 mins from scripps. Where do you go to fill? I visit there many times but never knew I could get water from them.....COOL!!

My reef has never seen water other than the pier water. I mean seriously we're trying to simulate the ocean right? What better water to use than that straight from the ocean?

i would use the NSW, you just need to make sure its not from a sheltered area, go out to somehwere thats got exposure to the open ocean currents and away from large consentrations of boat activity and inland run off.

I like how the midwesterners are the ocean water experts. I pee in the water at the beach but if anybody really needs to top off thier nano I can stop by...

I work with a guy who used ocean water to do all water changes but he was in guam and its a tiny island in the great pacific.

How big are your water changes guys 1 mabey 2 gallons stop being cheap and spend the buck at the lfs for pre mixed!!!

hey ebin, what's your degree in? cause i'm pretty sure i have one in aquatic ecology. just because i live in the midwest doesn't mean i haven't been out of it.

hmm, wouldnt the trace element concentrations be different say here in a temperate area than from a tropical reef area? I would think that life in intertidal/shoreline areas and pelagic areas would have different consumption rates than life a higher temperature region like a reef. But if it is workin well then it has to be fine. Just seems like it wouldn't be the same, but it has to be better than mix.

Archived