Coral Vue Hydros

Replacement for Skilter 250

D.D.

Are there any ideas out there to replace this Skilter 250 on the back of my 11 gallon tank? How about one of the Millinium HOB filters? The protein skimmer on the filter makes alot of noise and alot of bubbles and doesn't seem to collect much in the collection pan. Also I've had to put just the fiber back in it(not the carbon) because the nitrates shot up to 35 a week ago. The tank is about six weeks old and has two Ocellaris clowns, three blue legs, and one Astrae snail. There are also a couple of other snails that are small that came with the live rock. Do you really need a ptotein skimmer or can you just change out two gallons a week instead of my usual one to up the water quality?

i use the skilter on my hospital 20g. it's working pretty good (with macroalgae and clams in the tank tho). you may want to supplement the venturi action with an airstone to really get good collection. i also use Poly-Filters in lieu of the crappy skilter pads : my problem is more in the significant turbulence of the water flow.

if you change anyways i'd recommend the hagen mini. i've got one on my office 5g. it's cheap and adjustable with its flow.

protein skimmers are vital imo but very possible to go without.

you could throttle the air pump back with one of those cheap plastic air valves. i actually power two tanks with one small hagen pump and adjusted it with a valve until the bubble mixture was right. make sure you use the wooden airstones for 'fine/minute' bubbles.

Archived