Top Shelf Aquatics

directing a pistol shrimp to >dig here<

bigbenji

My pistol shrimp swings like a monkey. I've only seen him going from his hole to a hole in the LR, back to another hole he dug, and back into the LR. My shrimp goby has got to be getting bored with this. Since I have no corals yet, could I remove most of my LR and put it in quarantine, just to force the pistol and goby to notice each other are in the tank? I know they'll probably split up again when the LR goes back in, but its just a thought.

I think it's best if you just let them be. In time, they will find each other...and if they don't....that's just the cards you've been dealt with.

afterall, we can't go around and force people to fall in love w/ each other, rite? and if we could, I would've tried it by now.

and if they truly don't ever hook up...you should go to Plan B....light a candle, dim the lights, and play marvin gaye's "let's get it on."

Nearly all fish are able to alter the pigmentation in their skin. They cannot change colors, but they can make it lighter and darker to help blend with surroundings and time of day. Also, when it is stressed, usually the colors fade. I have never heard of darker colors being a cause for concern. Most people are happy when their fish get more concentrated skin pigmentation (darker, more vivid colors.)

It is actually the melanin in fish if you are interested. Mamals lost the ability to control that long ago apparently, but we still produce melanin by pretty much the same mechanism.

Originally posted by bigbenji

My pistol shrimp swings like a monkey.  I've only seen him going from his hole to a hole in the LR, back to another hole he dug, and back into the LR.  My shrimp goby has got to be getting bored with this.  Since I have no corals yet, could I remove most of my LR and put it in quarantine, just to force the pistol and goby to notice each other are in the tank?  I know they'll probably split up again when the LR goes back in, but its just a thought.

I read on some website, maybe liveaquaria, thay you should release the goby so that he has to swim into the Pistol's burrow. I don't know if that is any help, but it is worth a try.

Archived