SaltCritters.com

invertebrate in tank-quarantine

bBoYLXIX

my tank is suffering from an ammonia spike. i put my inverts into a tupperware dish with good tank water and am floating them in my tank until the ammonia spike is over. i did a water change which helped a little bit. is the tupperware a good idea? im kinda worried they might get burned up because they are so close to my light light. I have the 130w coralife with one 10k and actinic. i only have a peppermint shrimp, hermit crab, ricordea and a pyramid snail. also, can i use something like ammo-loc with inverts?

You should really think of getting a QT ASAP. It doesn't sound to safe what you are doing but I am in no way an expert. A QT is a good thing.

my little brother fed a LITTLE too much frozen foods while i was away. i came back this afternoon to find one of my shrimps dead so i tested the water. ammonia was at about .50ppm. i kinda panicked i guess. but i did take out the dead peppermint and cubes i found rotting in the sand immediately and did do a 50% water change. im mixing up some more salt for another. as for a quarantine, my parents are using it for a coral beauty right now that has ick and they are using copper treatment so i cant put them in there. i was thinking of putting them into the 55 that the coral beauty came out of because my inverts wont be affected by ick. except i doubt i will ever get them out with all the rock in there lol. i just needed a quick alternative as they had probably been roasting in ammonia for a while b4 i got to them. for now im going to have minimal lighting. im going to do another waterchange and hopefully have them in the tank again by tomorow. (is that a safe estimate?) for the record i have a 20g.

Archived