Coral Vue Hydros

HOLLY $HIT!!!!!

Mr Spam

OMG! I went to go get a drink out of the kitchen a few min ago, so while the kitchen light was on I took a look in my tank and I saw this HUGE A$$ bristle worm!!!!! It scared the $hit out of me!!!! Its atleast 4 inches long, probibly between 4 and 5!!! Ive never seen it before, never knew it was in there!!!! Ive had the tank for 8 freakin months and never seen this huge a$$ thing!!! I cant belive my hand was in the tank, just centimeters from where this things been!!!OMG i'm sorry for this but it really scared the $hit out of me!!! talk about seeing new things on your live rock even months after you've gottan it. BTW, what do these things eat, Ive seen people talk about them but never realy payed much attention.

fellow reefer,

Spam All The Way

(Edited by Mr Spam at 4:08 am on June 11, 2002)

they mostly eat detritus and other dead organisms such as snails and hermits. at the size you have they may get too hungry and take live snails and stuff. most people like them in there tanks because they help stir sand but usually under 3 inches is what people try and keep them at. i personally would rid myself of this huge beast.

LOL, I remember feeling exactly the same way the first time I saw a bristle worm in my tank. I tried to catch the stupid thing but I couldn't... mine still in my tank somewhere and all my snails and hermits are still alive so I have no problem with the worm.

that things knarly, it looks like an eel (but its not).  I would crap my drawers if i found that thing in my nano.  The only one i've seen in my tank was pink with white hair, about 3 inches

(Edited by FamousGuy at 4:28 am on June 11, 2002)

Yeah I know what you mean Mr Spam, the first time i saw one come out of LR, I got all goose pimples...I just couldnt imagine such a thing in my tank.  

Most of mine are 4inch or so, with a few juveniles.

I still have every snail and hermit accounted for, so it looks alright.  I just dislike the look of them, especailly the fat pink ones with the whitish bristles on the side, looks so horrible.

There is lots of misinformation about bristleworms. Most of the worms found in the aquarium are absolutely harmless. As said before, they will eat detrius, uneaten food and dead animals. This will not change as they grow....once a scavenger always a scavenger.

It is rather unnerving to see such a large worm in your tank, but all in all it's just another interesting addition!

I came in one night after drinking about four pitchers of Ice cold Fosters. At the time I had a 20 gallon long with about 25 pounds of crappy live rock that I got from a LFS near my house. I was new to the hobby and didnt know much other than what I read in books. I went over to my tank and turned the lights on and I saw or at least I thought i saw a foot long worm shoot up into a hole in my live rock, it was pinkish and gray in color and it retreated fast. Now it could have been the fosters playing tricks on me, but....

I had that tank for about 6 months after that and I never saw and more signs of bristle worms. I broke down the tank to an eclipse system six and used some of the live rock. I threw the big piece that the worm lived in away. About two months after the system six was up and running I noticed tons of small bristle worms in the sand bed. That was about two years after I first bought the rock. I have recently seen about a 3 incher coming from one of the rocks.

So far no harm has been done, although I had a margarita snail die, i found a clean shell. When i removed the shell a bristle worm crawled out.  He looked a little fat and full.

Christopher Marks

LOL.  An old LFS here has a 3 foot bristle worm in a jar of fermaldahide.  Apparently this guy set up a saltwater tank and had it running for a few years.  Well, then he had to go off to college, so he left the tank with his mom to take care of.  All the fish eventually died, but she kept the tank up thinking this worm was just another 'pet'.  She was feeding this giant bristle worm for a little over a year, then took down the tank and brought the worm to the lfs.

bristle worms are good to have in your tank ,some places sell them for your sand bed ect,its the fire worms you have to worry about ,they can kill tridacnids and bore into corals.

Thanks every for your help. I couldn't belive something so big in my small 5g tank that I havn't seen already in the 8 months I've had it. I also saw some copepods for the first time last night too :)

Archived