Innovative Marine Aquariums

drain noise

ProFlatlander15

ProFlatlander15

im sure this has been a question before, but there is air in my drain to my below-tank fuge. its makes a gurgling noise that is not all that pleasant at night. i put 3 feet of airline tubing down itto try to siphon some air down to the bottom. it helped, but how do i get it quiet? also because there is air in the drain, it creates bubbles when is empties into the fuge, and salt creep is a big problem. thanks

• 3 weeks later...

airline tubing doesn't have to go all the way to the bottom, unless you've drilled holes along the length of it. Try having the airline go to just the top of the overflow, say 2" in. That works find for me. If you really want to do something about it, you can put a T fitting in place of the 90 going down to the sump, put a cap on it and drill a 1/4" hole.

can you add a modified durso or stockman standpipe? as suggested Tee-ing off the bulkhead and adding a cap with hole is a modified durso. try getting the feed pipe as wide as possible.

• 2 weeks later...

Set up a siphon that takes 90% of the water down to the sump. That will mimise the noise and water turbulence at the bottom.

I've almost totally eliminated the noise from my setup. I just use some clear flexable ubing for the siphon and a clamp to limit it so that only a trickel flows through the overflow. If the siphon is too strong it will just empty the wier and break and u'll be back to square one!

The siphon will break if the power goes out but it's just a noise issue not a flood issue :) you could try running the siphon tupe through the overflow tube if it's big enough?! this should allow the siphon to "auto-start"

Archived