SaltCritters.com

rock bleaching and filter ?

bdmiller

I've added my live rock a few days ago in my 10 gallon. It looks like it could be bleaching. Is this normal? Also, during the break-in period, I've decided to keep the filter and carbon in my HOB filter. When should I take this out?

Thanks

Don't sweat it. In a new tank it is very common for the nice coraline you saw on the rock to bleach away. Although disheartening, new coralline will eventually grow over it. When I started my tank, I had some nice rocks, just covered in purple coralline. Now there is only a little patch of the original. Everything else bleached over and grew new coralline. The cool thing is that the coralline that grew back is a lot of different colors, some red, various shades of purple, green, and even some white(thats right white). IMO, the best way to promote coralline growth is to keep your alk and Ca levels up.

As far as carbon filtration goes, there's a lot of different opinions. My opinion is that there is no problem using it at all. As long as it is a good grade carbon that will not leach phosphates into your water. Also, take it for what its worth, it makes your water look cleaner, it really doesn't have any other significant chemical benifits.

Good Luck!;)

I agree with Brian on both points. Bleaching looks bad but is temporary.

As far as carbon goes, I use carbon contstantly. Any trace elements that might be removed are minimal at best. Weekly water changes with a good quality salt mix will replenish any trace elements removed. Plus I've had freshwater tanks for 20 years and old habits die hard. :D :D

Archived