Hyposalinity and Copper?

equinecpa

I have a QT'd clown goby that has come down with a bad case of ich. I bought him a week ago, and first noticed it last night - and it was bad. I can't believe how quickly the spots developed.

Anyhow I added quickcure to the tank last night and lowered the salinity some. Then I got to worrying, can you treat and use the hyposalinity method at the same time? Salinity is at 1.019 right now, I believe it needs to go at least to 1.014 and preferably 1.010. Is Formaldehyde copper based?

I've also seen that enriching food with garlic can help, can I do this too? I'm presently feeding bbs and today hope to get some cyclopeeze.

How long before I see some of those spots disappear? And is Quick Cure OK, or should I get something else when I'm at the LFS today?

Sorry for all the questions but I have read and read on the marine ich and am just not sure about this.

Carolyn

yah keep him in hypo saltinity like 1.015 for a couple days then give him a fw dip and he should be ok. Remember that at one point the ich will fall off the goby for a few days then come back stronger.

But what about combining hypo and meds at the same time? I don't believe Quick cure is copper based unless formaldehyde is a copper based substance. I'd like something that treats the ich as we lower the salinity. I however don't want to keep using the Quick Cure if it'll do more harm than good.

Anyone?

Carolyn

It's not a problem you can treat with hyposalinity and formaldahyde medication. The medication you are using is formaldahyde and malachite green. Back in the olden days I believe that malachite green was produced using copper, but now it is "basically" copper free. I would slowly raise the temprature (82-84 over a few days) and gradually lower the sg to 1.010 (dropping .001 or .002 a day through partial water changes). I would suggest that you use a refractometer as it is far more accurate than a hydrometer. Make sure that you use half the recommended dosage of quickcure ( I would start with 1/4 dosage the first day to make sure the fish isn't overly sensative to the meds.) I wouldn't suggest fw dipping anymore, it will unecessarily stress the fish and most of the Ich is protected by the fish's slime coat anyway. I used this method on my puffer (extremely copper sensative fish) and it has worked wonders.

Good luck :D

Thanks for the input. I appreciate the caution on the Quick Cure dosage. Any tips on getting a sick fish to eat better? I've been feeding live bbs but they are kind of hard to target feed. I'm supposed to be getting some frozen cyclopeeze tomorrow, anything else I might try to feed him?

Carolyn

If you have him in a QT and he is not a runner, you could try to scoop him up in a small tupperware bowl and feed him in that. I wouldn't use a net to try to catch him though. You can try cutting up some raw shrimp and setting it by him, not sure if he will eat it, but at least it should stay put while you are trying to give it to him.

Yeah...it's kind of hard to put a toothpick through brine shrimp to make them stay put! I may freeze the little guys tonight...that might make them stay put.

Carolyn

Archived