ReefCleaners.org

First time nano reefer has some questions

Mikev727

Hello all,

i just had a few questions as this is my first time doing a nano i've done bigger tanks but nothing this small before so just a few questions

Ok well the tank is a 2g eclipse system now should i remove the biowheel on this? i've heard they can be nitrate factories? the tank currently has 1 7/8 pounds of live rock in it right now

What would be a good way to cycle this lil system?

Does the same 6-8 week cycle period still apply or is it shorter for the small volume of water?

Thanks in advance!

Let's start with the bio-wheel... It can only produce 'trates if ammonia is present (you know the cycle). In a 2 gallon I doubt that you are going to be over stocking with fish, and producing a ton on ammonia... Thus, I also doubt that you will have problems with the bio-wheel ;). -Short answer, it will make a nice addition to your tank, and protect you in case on an ammonia spike (which in my opinion could spell death for such a small system). I would do a 1"+ sand bed with the finest grade sand you can get ahold of (should look like dust, it is actually being called "mud"). What kind of lighting are you running? If it is just a regular normal output bulb, I would suggest picking up a 13W PC with a 50/50 bulb (you can find them for very little $).

The same cycle will apply, and as you know sometimes they go quickly sometimes they will take a little over 6 weeks... it all depends. A good quality sand and rock will help out.

If you don't mind me asking what did you pay for the eclipse 2, and where did you get it? -Thanks

Thanks for the help!

Ok soo how do i go about cycling it? i mean i have to put some thing in there to start the cycle right? is the LR i have in there going to be enough? i brought it home in a bucket of water and added it directly to the tank and tossed the water soo im not sure how much die off if any there was

Yup i got the nice sugar sized sand but not LS :( no one in my area carries that and for such a small order it just wasn't worth it i think i have about an 1"-1 1/2" in there

any other tips folks?

If you got live rock in there, its starting to cycle now. If you want to speed it up because you don't think the live rock is enough, you could always add a little piece of shrimp or something to give some ammonia. The live rock will eventually make your sand live sand, another ways is to see if you can get some donations of about a cup of live sand from established tanks, local reef clubs, lfs, friends. This will boost the population and diversity in the SB.

Unfortunately, the cycle is no shorter. But, I would recommend testing throughout the first couple of months, even if uninhabitated, just to see where you stand. Good luck;)

the explorer eclipse two doesn't have any lights. i had one for a comet goldfish who unselfishly gave up its tank to be my hospital tank. :P (i had it 15 years before giving it away, died a week later :angry: ).

it's a great little tank but lighting it ain't gonna be easy. all it has is a clear faceted cover to let in ambient light. a aga 2.5g or a 1g or 2g hex would be easier imo. printer's probably thinking of the azoo galaxy light to add but you'll run into the problem joe had in his tank. the light will really only light up the front.

other than that i totally agree with printer and brian's suggestions. like brian alludes to, take your time, setup is one of the best times. looking for new life forms everyday on the LR and sand. bad things happen fast, good things happen slowly. ;) good luck!

printer,

i think those explorers go for about $20 online.

Hello again all

Well ok heres what im thinking i saw on here how this one guy had used some acrylic tubes and mounted his PC's inside of them and placed them over the tank so im going to remove that peice of clear plastic it comes with and sit the tube there it should get enough light in there im hoping OR i can just remove the entire top and build a canopy for it what do you guys think?

also where can i find plans for a simple watertop off system?

Thanks!

Archived