SaltCritters.com

250 halide?

Royalenchntrss

Royalenchntrss

We're in the process of looking for a new lighting system for our tank. We cant decide on the ballast and or complete setup but we think that we want electronic. we've been thinking icecap. would like an easy plug and play as possible. So if all of you halide expert veterans out there, what 250 system would you go with if you could do it all over? which Company? Mobile, DE, pendant or retro? Thinking for bulb temp we were thinking 14 - 20 k range. we dont want the tank dim from being so blue but we want our zoos to pop out but dont want the tank bright white. Thanks in advance!!

liquidfluidity

SE - electronic ballast

DE - magnetic ballast

There is another thread about magnetic or electronic mh ballasts. There is a link that shows a comparison between these types of ballasts. IMO , I would check out the Hamilton 14k , Guismann(sp?) megachrome , Aquaconnect , and Aqualine Buschke bulbs.

Aquamedic Ocean Light 250w DE HQI MH pendant...includes everything you need - - truly plug n play (as easy as it gets) - - from $258-271 depending on which online vendor you go to.

hellolights.com, customaquatic.com, and marinedepot.com all carry them.

I usually go the retro diy route.

I like running the DE on an electronic ballast for efficiency, temp, but the magnetics "drive" them better. I have used the IceCap MH electronic ballasts and the ARO electronic ballasts from Hellolights.com and would have to go with the ARO because it is much cheaper and basically the same ballast.

If you run DE, you MUST use a UV shield!

Definately go with the Hamilton 14K bulb or comparable, the color is a CRISP ICE BLUE!! They are awesome and only 59.95 at reeftanklighting.com with free shipping.

The 10K bulbs are good, but a little too white for me. And the opposite for the 20K bulbs.

The Aqua Medics are sexier than PFO's IMO. just a personal preference. But yeah, PFO's are very reasonably priced...all depends on whether you consider it worth it to pay $50 more for a sexier pendent...

AND bulb type...cuz the Aqua Medics usually come w/ Aqualine/AB bulbs..which are quality bulbs...the PFO's w/ Aqualine upgrade would cost about $260...so now you're only talking about $10-20 price difference for pendants w/ equally quality bulbs.

But yeah, considering you mentioned you rather have plug-n-play instead of DIY, these two pendants are your best options.

Royalenchntrss

We ordered last night from Marine depot and ended up getting the PFO HQI 250 W Mini Pendant

IceCap 250 W Metal Halide Ballast

250 W 14,000 K Metal Halide Double Ended Bulb - Hamilton :) What do you think??

nice....was the shipping and tax free? Hamiltons are quality...so you have nothing to worry about. How much was the total for the set-up at the end if you don't mind me asking?

Royalenchntrss

i think it was 291 after we added the pfo to icecap adapter i was thinking retro but i thought i might as well go spend the money for once and buy something complete but i cant wait im so excited

just curious what made you guys decide to go for PFO instead of the Aqua medic Ocean Light pendant...the same 250 w/ aqualine bulb would have been 279. and that includes everything as well - complete set-up - for plug n play. just curious b/c I want to get another 250w pendant and if there is a particular reason that makes the PFO better, I would like to know in case i might want to get a PFO instead.

Royalenchntrss

yep i wanted the ice cap name and warrenty. plus it was free shipping when i added the shipping cost to some of the places it equalled out but i definatly will tell my experiance with the mini now ill just have to figure out how high to hang the fixture till every thing gets acclimated then lower it to its resting spot

jc

Archived