Innovative Marine Aquariums

fighting conchs

Primeval

I have on a few occasions observed my fighting conchs on top of each other... or mainly one smothering the other. Assuming it was some type of mating thing, I left them alone. Today I find one of them dead in the spot that I saw the 2 on top of each other yesterday. never found one dead like this before... is this common?

I beleive a single fighting conch needs about 2 square feet of bottom. Your tank total has 1.4 sq feet.

Whether or not that is the reason one killed the other, i dunno.

actually it may be king conchs or something close. i looked at the picture for fighting conchs at saltwaterfish.com and mine dont look like that. Mine are just over 1inch long and kind of gray looking on the shell with circle-striped patterns on the shell. And they stay in the sand all day

• 3 weeks later...

So how exactly do fighting conches fight? And my next question is, if I were to also acquire a fighting conch, would you like to have our conches engage in a little battle? I think we could potentially draw in a large crowd for the event. $cha-ching$

The Empiricyst

They aren't worthless.

Even while they're out of sight, they're turnin' sand and then some. They're often kept as part of a cleaning crew.

i have 2 in my 18g...

i observe them weekly and they're alive and doing well...(they also turn my sand bed around pretty efficiently)

granted, they're only 1.5'' they're still small and probably have not "found each other" to fight.

• 2 weeks later...

Fighting conches are good sand bed stirrers and eat diatoms. Their big ol eyes aren't afraid to look straight at ya. I love my fighting conch but he's been missing in action for a week! Grrr...

My Fighting Conch stayed buried in the sand a few days and I thought he was dead or on his way. It seems he was resting becuase he has not stop crusing the sand bed for almost 4 days and it is getting clean. I think they are worth it.

"one killed the other" well...........that is why they call them "FIGHTING" conchs. LOL!!!!!!!!!

Ardo: thats a whoper sturgeon in your pic! you catch him? How far did it drag you down the shore? LOL!!!!!

They're extremely peaceful in general and are found in large colonies in the wild. They're called "fighting" conchs because of the spine on their foot and the fact that they can 'kick' it and jump forward through the water. The don't fight anymore than a firefish burns.

yes they are peace ful but they use their foot to fight . thats why they are called fighting conchs. They use the spine to tear the flesh of a would be intruder. What I was told and read any ways............

Originally posted by SaltyDawg

yes they are peace ful but they use their foot to fight . thats why they are called fighting conchs. They use the spine to tear the flesh of a would be intruder. What I was told and read any ways............

What I meant is that they don't fight each other like a fighting fish does. I've also heard and read that they use that spine for defense, but putting two in one aquarium isn't going to cause a battle - They don't "fight" in that sense.

Archived