ReefCleaners.org

Refractometer..

Heather_H

I just got a refractometer.... I tested it against my hydrometer and the water comes out .02 higher on the refractometer then the hydrometer...

Do I need to calibrate the refractometer somehow? or is it just that my hydrometer is really that inaccurate?

for instance.. the hydrometer is saying 1.023 and the refractometer is saying 1.025

no it really can be that different. this is why i recommend the refractometer. to calibrate usually drop some water on the buisness end and turn screw so that scale reads zero(?). adjusted once and forgot.

I just use new distilled water to calibrate mine. Well, I've never actually had to calibrate it yet. But when I first got it, I tested it, and every once in a while, I check it against distilled to make sure it's still right on.

reason they use hydrometers is probably cost and potential sales. just think of all the broken refractometers or five finger discounts if refractormeters were used by the lfs staff and just laying around. also much easier to sell a $10 hydrometer with a sw package than a >$45 refractometer.

I dont feel so bad now haha... although I am slowly trying to bring my salinity back down to where I "thought" it was to begin with..... maybe my corals will be happier then the are now!

Archived