Innovative Marine Aquariums

which protein skimmer to buy for a 5.5 gallon fuge

kappa

I have a though decision to make now because I don't know what protein skimmer to buy. I want the best nano skimmer money can buy. I am currently looking at the remora urchin, but I don't know If that is still too big. Maybe somebody can help me figure out what I need to buy, as I continue to seach for a protein skimmer. I might have to build a UTR nano skimmer if it comes to it.

I will be placing the skimmer in my 5.5 gallon fuge. pretty small eh?

UTR skimmer work great. put a maxi jet with it work great. and building it was ez took me 2 try to get it right because i was new to working with acylic.

If I have to, I will either wait for the nano remora, or build a nano remora myself, and than maybe I will also have to upgrade the sump/fuge to a 10 gallon. I don't know if a ten gallon will fit under my aquarium stand which is why I went with a 5.5 fuge in the first place.

danielalfonso

fuge with macro will eliminate the need for a skimmer, skimmer will take the nutrients out of the water and starve your macro, pick macro or a skimmer and stick to one, IMHO a 5.5 gal stuffed with cheato and 24/7 lighting would be more filtration than any skimmer that would fit

Oh, are you serious? I just spent 3 hours reading the complete UTR skimmer thread. I was going to build the skimmer the very next day. Dang I got all excited to build a skimmer for nothing. I have cheato, LS, and LR, with 12 hour reverse daylight lighting on my fuge, do you think that is okay? I was thinking I might need a chemipure carbon bag in the fuge. Dose anybody think that is a good idea? my pH is out of whack lately since the upgrade to a new 15g. Ph is now 8.6-8.8 for three weeks now.

Maybe I should leave my fuge light on 24/7.

Ive read your other post. a skimmer and a refugium does two completely different things. skimmers suck up surfactants (larger physical matter), whereas a refugium is to promote pods and grow macro algae. Macro algae will use the different species in your water..err chemicals for growth (elements, ions). Though, I might be wrong. Please look for confirmation of my claims.

As far as a skimmer, I dont believe in overskimming. Get the biggest one you can find. Nothing less than an urchin. If you have the room and money, an H and S (about 500bucks) takes up an area of about 5x11. an euroreef 5-3/5-2 is about 9x9? I'd go with the euroreef. If not, look at the miniflotor/midiflotor. Also good skimmers.

Plus, run some carbon. Overly anal but if you insist on crystal clear water, do these three things. Short of zeovit, ozone, (maybe even UV?) you're doing the best you can. K thanks

That's called ... perfect tank ... including everything .... Sock filter, skimmer, refugium, UV, calcium reactor phosphate reactor, ... reactors damn ... too many to list.

^^ I edited. More better grammar now. Be careful what carbon you use. Some contain phosphorous and can be hazardous to your tank. Spend more for a quality carbon. Here's some good reading. http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthre...threadid=466117 You have to sign in first to read it. Calfo is a smart man, listen to his advice. Remember, nothing is ever as simple as it seems. And nothing is overly complicated once you get to know its nature. Now go play word association. k thanks again

Thanks for the info supernip, I read the thread. I used chemipure before with good results, no phospahte problems, so I will go buy some of that. Oh, and I left that chemipure bag in my old nano for about 4 months with no ill effects. I am not suggest doing that, but it is a 10 ounce bag, and the recomendation says change it out every 6 months.

chemipure at marinedepot

I guess I will build a UTR skimmer soon, if only if I could find the weldon 3.

Archived