Innovative Marine Aquariums

45 GALLON stocking list?

Wobach

Hi there okay so heres my stocking list so far for my new 45 gallon.. tell me what you think:

2 percula clowns

1 yellow tang- after a couple of months or so

1 firefish

1 green chromis

Perhaps a royal gramma... not sure what else though!!!

any suggestions?

ALSO! Marine-depot live are selling yellow tangs for 10.99! lol i thought that was good... they have also changed the suggestions for keeping a yellow tang. They use to have it that a yellow tang need 100 gallons and now they say that only need a 50 gallon is needed...

I like the list, minus the tang. If you want a tang I'd go with a baby hippo tang till he outgrows it.

I have just about exact set up with same fish. Get the purple firefish. Maybe a green clown goby

whats the sayin a fish grows to the size of the tank its in all about then?hehe

also...what would be better for my tank, a blue hippo tang or a yellow tang? i forgot to say that its taller than it is long therefore a yellow tang may be better... i do actually prefer hippos tangs but i realise, like most tangs they need adequate swimming room?

Sorry...I was talking to bowfront to clean his PM box. You can get orders from marinedepotlive.com in England??? sweet.

Purple firefish, if you look around, you can get for decent price...My LFS had them for $18 I believe. I don't know much about Tangs....so should ask someone else.

Okay ive been thinking it through and ive re-written the possible list

1 green chromis

2 false clowns (1 from nano tank, one new)

1 yellow tang

1 Firefish

1 coral beauty

5 blue legged hermits

5 red legged hermits

snails of some kind

1 starfish of some kind...

My LFS recommended that i got a cleaner wrasse to help any problems with parasites? what do you guys think?

i think a yellow tang AND a coral beauty (both which require more space than your other fish and get somewhat larger) might be a little too much...coral beauties are known to nip at LPS, soft coral, and clam mantles, so if you decide a coral beauty instead of a tang, add him with caution.

okay okay im gonna go for a tang, thanks tigah, to tell the truth i kinda knew that theyre both fairly large- i was just pushing my luck! so what does anyone think about getting a cleaner wrasse? any one got one? comments?

what exactly does IMO stand for? ive always wondered...

k im definatley not gonna go for a cleaner wrasse apparently they thrive on parasites etc and are known for dying in captivity?

how much are you willing to spend on this one fish? I like mystery wrasses...but they are pricy...and there are other cool reef-safe wrasses out there with amazing colors. And I saw this amazing dwarf angel called Resplendent Pygmy Angelfish on liveaquaria.com which is supposedly less prone to nip on corals, but they have that sucker for $899.99. crazy! If I were Bill Gates, I'd buy a bunch of those.

IMO=in my opinion

If I had 45...I would stock the following:

Mated Pair of True Percula Clowns or Black n White Perc Clowns

3 Firefish (either purple or red)

1 green clown goby (or some other color variant)

1 diamond goby cuz they are the best sand sifters and keep your sand sparkling white!

2 chalk bass (but add these guys last) or 1 Hawaiian 4-line wrasse (these guys are beautiful)

Tigahboy has a nice list above

Hell I have a 75g and I want to talk my wife out of putting a tang in it

clowns wrasses gobies firefish basslets

stick with the smaller fishes

IMO=in my opinion

thanks tigah your a real help you should be a moderator on this site!!! hmm chalk bass... i saw one online recently? theyre bluey coloured i believe? im really liking the idea of three firefish... my local aquarium The Deep had a large shoal of them in a tank at one point.. i cant believe most the people i know think theyre ugly!! not sure about the clown goby.... could i have a green chromis instead...

Sleeper Blue Dot works just as well. so i hear. I havent been able to find any locally, so i just stick to the diamond goby even tho I'm not too fond of its appearance. But he definitely serves an important janitorial function. haha.

Archived