Top Shelf Aquatics

My 29 gallon nano

Shorty5198

haha yea, personally i think 6 inches is a little toooo much. Hes doing real good, i fed him some krill and brine and he grubbed it up. Hes coming out more and looks more comfortable. thanks

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1 thing i was told/learned from LFS... When you plan on adding some sort of sand sifting fish/invert, always put the rock in first, then sand. Because if they are diggers, the rock will collapse when they dig too deep and CRACK...

I cant wait to get a valencia goby in my 24g...

Its not written in stone but makes sense....

Chris.

Yes...placing LR first before SAND is a must...lots of stuff can shift the sand around and tumbling LR is no good. If you're adding more LR to an existing sand bed, at least make sure you push the piece all the way until it has full support by the bottom of the tank.

I'm sorry if i bring the bad new but that carpet does not look good. First off, the carpet should be on the bottom of your sand. not on the rock. Second, the carpet has lost all of its symbiotic algaes that explains why it is white in color. And third, if you can see an anemone's mouth wide open like that it means that it is extremely stress and the chance of recovering is slim. If i were you I would place the carpet on the sand floor and go to reef central and go to the anemone forum to learn more because it doesn't seem like you know what you doing.

Sorry if I am hash on my words. I just think we all should be more responsible in our purchase especially when it comes to delicate animal such as a carpet anemone. They are one of the harder anemone to care for and the fact that they grow to be quite large make them not practical for nano tanks.

Undertheradar

I agree, It seems as though he bought it after it was already very bleached...so I assumed he knew what he was doing and was in fact saving it...but it looks as though it might be too late. I would remove the anemone from this system...it might nuke the tank. Maybe a friend with a larger tank & more lighting would be willing to try saving it w/o the risk.

how big is the Jawfish? If its small it wont need much, but they only live for a couple years (fast growers), and their demands increase quickly. In most cases that I see where a jawfish hits the bottom glass (shallow sand), they waste away. In the wild they are known to make holes many times the depth we can provide in captivity...holes 20" deep are common.

reefnoobs, no offense taken. I know that it is not doing too well. I thought that i might be able to save it. The reason its mouth is open though is because he is eating a bit of krill and it looks bad. there was a whole tank of them at my LFS and they were 35$ so I decided to give it a shot. As for putting him on the sand bed, right now i might keep him where he is for now just for stress sake and play it from there. Thankyou again and please keep posting ideas and comments.

Andrew

That carpet doesent look that bad. It may have settled on the rock there cause it feels comfy there. where it settles and gets all chill in the flow and light is where you should leave it. he will color up nicely as time goes on.

Yea I kept looking through the thread for another picture but I finally figured out they were talking about the far out picture. hard to really tell anything from that shot. mabey they were just that good!

When i came back today, my anenome was sittin on the sand on a small rock. Looks to be doin ok. looks like he's still trying to find the right spot.

I'm trying to decide on a clown. My LFS has this really sweet sabae (1") but those get pretty big. I was also thinkin about a black clown which chould definatley look cool in a green carpet but those get kinda spendy. Anyone have any ideas?

yea i know i want one really bad. I can't really find any. I'm up in minnesota and when good stuff gets in, its always really high priced. One of my LFS has black clowns sometimes but they're like 60$!!!I know, a pair would be insane but i'll try for one for now and see how that goes.

Archived