Pod Your Reef

Polyps not looking so good

JonPM

Well, I just upgraded my lights from 36W PCs to 70W MH, and a day later one of my polyp colonies isn't looking so good. Please see the picture below. Is it normal for them to do this when the lighting intensity changes? All my params are good and have been stable with no flux for months. Any ideas?

Also, I have 4 other polyp frags that haven't changed at all. They even seem to be blooming better. I have had the pictured polyp colony for a couple months without any problems.

Are you gradually adjusting them to the lights? Like only having lights on for a few hours, then increasing 1 hour every few days (or once a week) until you get to the normal 9-10 hour photoperiod or having lights super high, then slowly bringing it down over the course of a few weeks....

Kick it down some more....like down to 4/5 hours....i think they are just shocked by the sudden increase in light...they should come around tho if slowly acclimated.

Go get some window screen and cut a few sheets. Put 5-7 sheets in front of the MH light. Each day or two days, remove a screen. This allows the corals to gradually adjust to the new light. Soon I'll be going from 70w MH to 250w MH. That's going to take a hell of a lot of window screen!

or you can raise the light up off the tank to allow more space between the bulb and the water surface. i think i just plain lucked out cuz i slapped a 70mh on my tank and am still running a 96w powerquad and haven't seen any ill effects and it's been a couple weeks now!

yeah....all of the above....I like the window screen idea actually...I think that would be the most effective way to go about it. When I acclimated, I had em on for 4 hours...increase an hour every 4 days....until it got to 9 hours.

Archived