ReefCleaners.org

Question about moving tanks....

Heather_H

Im switching substrate in the bottom of my 6 gallon...

I have a 7 gallon I plan on setting up also and since im going to change the substrate in the 6 I was wondering if I could just move everything from the 6 to the 7... (Water,filter,powerhead,LiveRock, Corals... Inverts)

Would this cause a cycle or would I be ok? I just want to make this as painless as possible but if its gonna cause another cycle then I will just put everything in a bucket while I change substrate then put everything back in the 6.

Thanks!!

I don't see why not ....when i set up my 6gal I just took water , live rock, a peppermint shrimp and some mushrooms from my 30 gal and put them in the 6 gal. You would not go thru a cycle cause everything is already cycled .There's nothing to cause an ammonia spike...

6 gal Eclipse

70 Mh

2 1/2 AGA

20 W Coralife

yea, I plan on moving the filter, powerhead...everything!!!! I just didnt know because there isnt any algae growth in the new tank if that would cause a problem at all....

im not using live sand in either instance...but instead just a thin layer of "non living" sand.... right now I have crushed coral and I see my nitrates ever so slightly starting to rise...even with routine water changes...

This way I could reset up the 6 gallon with the new substrate and not have to rush throwing everything back in while substrate is still trying to settle... im just trying to approach this with the least amount of stress to the livestock of the tank..

Originally posted by vyger

I don't see why not ....when i set up my 6gal I just took water , live rock,  a peppermint shrimp and some mushrooms from my 30 gal and put them in the 6 gal. You would not go thru a cycle cause everything is already cycled .There's nothing to cause an ammonia spike...

6 gal Eclipse

70 Mh

2 1/2 AGA

20 W Coralife

Archived