Innovative Marine Aquariums

Got my equipment in the mail!!

Shaz

I got my new equipment for my nano (30g) yesterday!!!

I got the ocena light pendant 250w, 20k from Hellolights http://hellolights.com/ocli25hqiame.html

and...

An AquaC remora skimmer w/ maxi jet 1200 http://marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=ACRM

My question is (and it might sound dumb) but..

the maxijet I got with the skimmer... isnt it a powerhead? If it is, do I need to get another one for my 30 gallon tank?

I LOVE that light, that's what I want for my 40g breeder.

No, the maxijet with the skimmer is not enough. That pump powers the skimmer, it doesn't really circulate much water int he tank (just what comes out of the skimmer). Reef systems need water movement. How much depends on what you plan to keep. I would suggest picking up two more of those powerheads (you can go with like two maxi jet 900's), or get a SCWD and setup a closed look system (best option IMHO, but more complicated), or pickup like one RIO Seio M620 powerhead, and one small powerhead.

with all the things ive researched over the last 4 months i totaly forgot to learn about powerheads haha...

So in your opinion the best brand would probably be the maxijet? (cheaps and gets the job done?)

yea, for powerheads, those are probably your best bet. the best thing to do with them is to get two, place them at opposite ends, do the random output modification to them, and place them on a wave timer.

another option is to pickup a Rio SEIO m620, and place it at one end of your tank, and then another small powerhead at the other end. the seio's flow a lot, but it is a very wide, low pressure flow. unlike regular powerheads which give a very direct flow. the random output mod on the maxi-jets does give a much wider flow than running them stock though.

How would I do a random output modification to them? What is a wave timer, is it a wavemaking device, or jsut something that would turn the powerhead on and off?

If i used the Rio SEIO m620 is the low pressure flow good? If i did the mod to the maxijet then it would be pointles to get the Rio SEIO m620 ?

Yea, me too. I've been eyeing that bad boy for my next tank. Seems like an awesome pendant for the price. Let us know how blue the bulb is. I will probably order mine with a 20K, but I want to replace the bulb with a 14000K AquaConnect.

hey jaykay!

It might be 1-2 weeks before I actually have my tank up and running but so far I love it! I turned out on last night and it was awesome, very nice design. If you do get that pendant, get the XDE bulb, not the aqua medic. I asked the hellolights guy on the phone and he told me that they did some kind of tests on them and the XDE was more energy efficient and it had the same effect as the aqua medic (which is more expensive). If you choose to get the 20k bulb like I did, it only comes in the XDE anyway.

The random output mod to the maxi-jet's involves just cutting the nozzles off. really simple, takes all of two minutes. I'll try to find a link that shows where to cut.

This is the natural wave timer Basically it's a power strip, with some timed outlets. There is a dial that lets you tune how the outlets are cycled. Not sure the range, but it seems like about from 20 seconds to about 2 minutes. Works great.

yea, if you get the maxis and set it up like i said, you don't need the seio, and vice versa.

the lower pressure of the seio is desired. it has a nice calm, wide flow, as opposed to regular powerheads that have a strong, focused flow. think of it as the water shooting out in a cone shape, rather than a tube shape of a regular powerhead.

i think for your size tank though, the maxi's on the timer is the best bet.

EDIT: Here is the link to how to cut the maxi-jets:

http://www.geocities.com/nivenboug/Cutmaxijets.html

Keep in mind that you will only see the benefit of this mod if you operate the maxi-jets on a wave timer.

never used one myself, not sure. doubt you can do the mod to them. and, if you plan on using them on a wave timer, not sure how well they work. some powerheads (most rios) don't do too great on a wave timer.

man that sucks, hard to believe no one carries maxi-jets. getting them online from like marinedepot is probably a much cheaper alternative anyway though.

hey, i just ordered maxijet powerheads from

www.petsolutions.com

(do a search for the Maxi-Jet 1200 and 900)

Really great deal and fast delievery. I got mine in less than a week. Another bonus is on that site the 1200 is $16.99. at all the LFS around my area i havent found one for cheaper than $30. I'd recommend getting the 1200 and the 900 for a slightly different flow between the two. works great

Marineland, makes of the penguin brand, owns maxi-jet brand now(aquarium systems). But, the two aren't the same.

I'm not saying any other the powerheads you've mentioned aren't good powerheads. I've just never used them, and if you want to try the random output mod, they might not work. I will say, however, that most LFS are WAAAAY overpriced on powerheads.

OK swweet!

the good news is I found a store aobut 1/2 hour away from my house that carries maxi jets. but.... I dumb and I forgot to ask how much, and what type, so i will have to call back later ;)

yea, find out the price first. around here, the cheapest any store carries a maxi-jet 1200 for example, is $32.95. I can get that same powerhead the Marinedepot for $18.95. Even with shipping, you save money.

hey, i just ordered maxijet powerheads from

www.petsolutions.com

(do a search for the Maxi-Jet 1200 and 900)

Really great deal and fast delievery. I got mine in less than a week. Another bonus is on that site the 1200 is $16.99. at all the LFS around my area i havent found one for cheaper than $30. I'd recommend getting the 1200 and the 900 for a slightly different flow between the two. works great

Archived