Cultivated Reef

Snail Died

FloridaShock

I've had my 15g tall tank setup for about 5 weeks now. The Nitrates are at about 5-10, Nitrites 0, Ammonia 0, and PH 8.0-8.1. Two days ago I added 3 Astrea Snails, and 3 Blue Leg Hermits. The snails just went to the back of the tank and went up so that they were about half covered w/ water and half out of the water. Is this normal? They haven't done any cleaning yet. I woke up today and found one dead (I think:| ). Another snail was on top of it (eating it maybe?). Do you think another snail killed it or maybe another reason. Thanks!

Your water parameters seem OK. One thing about Astraea snails is that they need to be turned upright if they should fall, or they will eventually die. Place it on your LR and see if it moves.

:unsure: Blue Leg hermit crabs have been known to kill snails on occasion, but another Astraea snail would not have killed it. However, it would be difficult to know exactly why it died if it is really dead.

if it is dead it may have been from your acclimation techniques...how did you acclimate them? some snails are pretty darn susceptible to poor acclimation techniques(astrea's are the ones i have had die on me...my acc. for snails used to involve floating for 30 mins. then grabbing them outta the bag and tossing them in...all my turbos survived this ordeal...the astrea's just may not be as hardy!).

snails die. that seems to be their whole purpose. they die and then a hermit takes the shell. if you plan on keeping snails expect to see empty shells.

its the circle of life.

nalbar

When I got home I checked and the snail was still flipped over so I took it out. Once I put it back into the tank and flipped it over it was fine. I'll have to get some extra shells. I don't think the hermits could do anything because they're so small. Does anyone know why they just go up to the top of the tank though and sit there all day? Thanks for your help.

Astraea snails often feed on algae growing on the glass and LR. Bumble Bee snails will stay on your LR (but are mostly nocturnal). Nassarius snails will stay in your sand bed. Cerith snails like the sand, LR, and glass.

Your tank is young and there isn’t a whole lot for them to eat yet, so I wouldn’t buy a ton of snails at once. However, you might consider adding a Bumble Bee, a Nassarius, and a Cerith snail for diversity.

Archived