Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

weldon alternatives

mrnewbie

weldon isnt available in the Uk(not that i can find) what would be a viable alternative, or is any solvent cement ok to use, i have got some osma solvent cement no2 (its used in house plumbing systems to join plastic pipes) , but i am not sure if its fishy safe, what determines a safe solvent cement to use,??

all solbvents are reef safe because all it really does is bond the peices of plastic to gether and then it all evaporates. the reason a lot of people use weld on is because they think that it is the only reef safe solvent. i dont use weld on, BTW

not sure about weldon like alternatives but marine goop worked great for my first tank(11g made of 1/8" home depot plexi) and its been a year now with no problems at all.

I used some stuff called tenax 7r. I got it originally for gluing plastic models together but seen that it also worked on acrylic. I used it to make one of the skimmers that undertheradar was gracious enough to put the plans on this website for, and it worked great! You may be able to get it at a hobby store in your area, or they could probably order it for you. It has a waterlike texture to it and I just used a modelling paintbrush to apply it. To make a thicker consistency all you would need to do is add some acrylic (plexiglass) shavings to it to use as a filler. Also Spongebob12000 used some glue he got from a radio control modelling outlet called Hobby Lobby that works equally as well. I don't remember the name of it but if you send him a question i'm sure he will reply to it. All i know is that the glue melts the acrylic together and is a VERY strong bond. I dropped my skimmer while building it and it broke the lip that holds it on the tank. It didn't break at the glue joint though.

Undertheradar

Didnt I just post this a week or so ago...oh, well, must have been in the mega huge skimmer thread...

You can make your own weld-on with two simple things: Grind up some scrap acrylic into shavings and mix it 50/50 (by volume) with MEK (methyl ethyl ketone) until it becomes a solution, a rather common degreaser found at any paint store (and cheap). If you want a thicker consistancy, just mix in more acrylic until it desolves.

Goop is not Aquarium Safe, it even says so on the package. I have contacted the company and they do have a special aquarium goop in development.

The stuff purchased at Hobby Lobby is called CA, basically superglue. Their are foam safe versions that might work better, since they don't melt plastic (regular does, trust me on this one).

Sam

Archived