SaltCritters.com

What next ?

Dazed1

Well, I had a 10 Gallon african tank that i am in the process of converting to a SW.

Last week, I added Salt. Saleinity = 1.021 .

Ammonia = 0.0ppm

Nitrite = 0-0.25

Nitrate = 0-5.0

PH = somewhere between 8.4-8.6 ( i know it's high).

I added about 15lb's of live Sand to it today along with a Rio 200 power head.

On monday I plan on adding some live rock, protien skimmer, and a damsel. I also will be getting a new hood and dual light setup. I'm not sure what exact kind of light since the LFS said they will exchange my regular hood/light to a glass top with double tube's for a small cost.

Am I going the right direction ? I want to be able to add a few coral's, and about 2-3 fish(max). :)

$$$-wise the NO's are a decent intro without pillaging your retirement fund (which you will eventually, heh-heh). URI bulbs normal output are very good. it'll give you a little flavor of the reefkeeping ahead. ;)

www.uriworld.com/PRODUCTS/mlam.htm

if you only want to spend once, imo go vho or mh but you'll probably work until 70 then. X)

so how did you set up your power head? LOL (sorry could not resist there dazed)

And how much LR are you planning on putting in?

How many inchs is your sand bed?

Originally posted by EclipseAgent

so how did you set up your power head? LOL (sorry could not resist there dazed)

And how much LR are you planning on putting in?  

How many inchs is your sand bed?

Now Ben, you have to do it again huh :bash: (does it work here ?? ) .

I'm planning on adding ab 15lb's of LR. I havn't measure my sand bed as of yet, but since its about 15lbs, its about atleast 2".

Is there any specific kind of LR that I should use ?

There's no specific live rock you should use - but be sure to do alot of research on who has the best for sale. Search the forums here for "live rock" and you'll come across some suggestions.

Your salinity is too low for most corals, so you'll eventually need to raise it a bit. There are different opinions about what salinity is best. Again - do a search on "salinity" to see what others are running. Mine's at 1.024.

Oh, and tinyreef hit it on the nose - spend $$$ on lighting now, or you'll be sorry you didn't later!

Ross

Thanks. :) I finally added about 12lbs of Live Rock, a protien skimmer and 2 turbo snail's. My LFS has ordered the lgiht's for them. Unfortunately i don't exactly know what kind X) . All I know is that is a dual light by Coral Life. I have to pick it up on thursday and then over the weekend make a canopy since i can't use a standard hood with the protien skimmer.

Should I be adding a shrimp or any hermit's now ?

Archived