Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

My Maroon wont go to rbta anemone

ny3papi

Hi, i just recently got a rbta its about 3inches long, as I down to see if the clown would go with the anemone but to my suprize it dint, it just swam next to it gave it a long look than swam away, would could be the problem? my clown is about 2inches and the anemone hasnt really settle down yet just wonders around wich i know is a indication that its unhappy ,and by the way it closed up when i turned off the lights is that normal?

It's a random event that a clown will 'play' with an anemone. You might have 2 exact same species of clown fish, and one will play in the anemone and the other won't. It just depends on the individual fish. I guess your clown just happens to be one that doesn't. At the same time, yours might play with a different anemone or might even play with yours at a later date. It's just random, and there's really nothing you can do about it. But to answer your question, there's nothing wrong with your clown or your anemone.

It can take a couple of days for the clown to really take to the anemone. How long have they been together? When the lights go out does the clown move close to the anemone? Are there any other fish in the tank with the clown?

Originally posted by bulldogger1

It can take a couple of days for the clown to really take to the anemone. How long have they been together? When the lights go out does the clown move close to the anemone? Are there any other fish in the tank with the clown?

well i just added the anemoni today so i ghess its gonna take a while , no fishes in the tank just the clown but i did notice that the clownd dint chose his regular spot where he usally sleep but a spot very close where the anemoni is located.

Sounds like the clown will host shortly. Maroons love BTAs so I wouldn't worry too much. Clowns host in anemones for shelter from predators but since there are no other fish in the tank I doubt he/she will feel forced to host.

hey bulldogger , u was right on target, as soon as i came from work i found my clown all over the anemoni, it dint event want to leave the anemoni to feed unless the flakes drifted close by, i was wondering how am i going to feed the anemoni when the clown wont even let me get close to it?

You won't have to feed the anemone. The clown will feed it for you. It really is cool to watch. If the anemone is small used 1/3 or 1/2 of a silverside and release it underwater. The clown will get it and since it is too big for him to ingest he will carry it over to the anemone and allow the anemone to feed. When the anemone is larger you can throw in a live goldfish or rosie red and watch the clown hunt it, kill it, and feed it to the anemone.

my clown wont let me feed the anemoni,everytime i offer the anemoni food the clown takes it out of the tentacles, i cant even cover the anemoni because its perched at an angle on the rock, do u think it would trhive on purely photosynthesis?

It is a cool thing to see though. I'll give them every 2 days brine shrimp and they love it. I like to see my maroon clown deliver food to my RBTA. Awsome.

Originally posted by Cesar

It is a cool thing to see though. I'll give them every 2 days brine shrimp and they love it. I like to see my maroon clown deliver food to my RBTA. Awsome.

aint the brine srhimp to small to be eaten by the anemonie? how do u feed it, what do u use? and can they thrive purely on photosynthsis?

I have brine shrimp that comes in cubes. What I do place it in the water and than somewhat smash it. The shrimp desolves and then the clown grabs a nice chunk and takes it to the RBTA. The clown actually gets big chunks. I also dose every 3 days with Zooplex and I was told that they also benefit from that.

I dunno. Its been 2 days so far and he hasnt noticed it yet. But mabe he will. If not ill buy him some zoos or a mushroom for him to host with. He really likes the power head and my LR

Archived