Cultivated Reef

Joes Juice is killing my finger leather!!!

fishdaddy0831

fishdaddy0831

Ive had my finger leather for over a week, and its been very very happy every day. This morning it wont "open" at all. None of my water conditions have changed, but last night I used joes juice. Thats the only differance. Has anyone with a finger leather had the same thing happen?

fishdaddy0831

None of my other coral are different, but this one was the closest to the juice. I didnt see any get on it, but I was busy watching the aptasia die. I don't see any spots on the leather that look like there deteriorating. It just wont open. Do leathers do this sometimes.

fishdaddy0831

Day 2 and it still hasent opened. I dont know if its the juice or not that was the only thing in my tank that changed(that I know of).

I now notice the finger leather looks wet. Maybe this is normal. Does anyone have any comforting words for me? Does anyone know whats going on? PLEASE:(

fishdaddy0831

Its been closed for 2 days. I now notice the finger leather looks wet. Maybe this is normal. Does anyone have any comforting words for me? Does anyone know whats going on? PLEASE

That sucks, I can only say..

Water changes, do one now and have another ready. If that leather starts to melt down you could have a mess on your hands. Do the water change and monitor the progress. I suggest only about 25% now, but have at least another 25% getting ready. That might help it out.

Personally, I have several LARGE aiptasia in my tank and one little peppermint shrimp. He may not eat the big ones, but they have quit spreading. The were out of control prior to the introduction of the peppermint. I don't like to put anything in my tank that was made to KILL something just for the reason that you are experiencing now.

Good luck...if is looks like that leather is going to completly melt you may have to remove it. Maybe someone else with leathers can respond and give you some advise too.

Mark

AReeferIsExpensive

ivei have 3 finger leathers and have used JJs numerous times without any problems. I also had some JJs get on my rock anemone and nothing happened.....

the only "comforting words" I can offer is your not alone. I wiped out about half of my favorite zoo colony after using Joes Juice. I am convinced Joes Juice is not "nano safe"

fishdaddy0831

Does it stay in the system? Maybe I should start doing water changes, and try to get it all out. It doesnt look like its deteriorating.

Ive had some people say its probably sheding it coat. Has anyone had this happen, and can you describe what happened?

JEFFYER- did you see it get on the zoos?

Archived