Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Tricked Overflow

Undertheradar

Undertheradar

Overflow guards. 1/4" teeth spaced 1/4" apart. This can require alot of patience and the best in router equipment. If you have the time a custom built jig is the best way to go...but still not easy. I used black needlepoint mesh, but that clogs too easy. Egg crate, but that looks nasty. Gutter guard, but that is hard to keep in place. Then I tried this...

Undertheradar

I used 1/8" plexi. Cut it up, weldon3, 1/4" ceramic bit to make the holes. Works perfect. No longer does my overflow make the water rise as it clogs. In fact, it would take a very long time to clog, as even large pieces just get stacked in between the box's front and the plate...and the water just goes around.

Undertheradar

The sides of the plate keep the plate in place....otherwise the water pressure would sweep the plate to the back of the box. This way the plate is kept exactly 1/4" from the front wall of the box. The flow is many times better. Before my max flow through my little converted brochure holder overflows was just under 300gph max...now it could handle double that. Its easy to clean too...simply lifting it out clears it...alot easier than having to scrub mesh. Any best of all, it looks good.

Undertheradar

Home Depot. They are just those spade bits used for tile & ceramic. The larger ones tend to make oblong holes, but the smaller ones work great.

• 1 month later...

Is the bottom of the box covered or is it just the 3 sides? Can't your snails or hermits flow down to your sump ... I see a hermit inside the box in one of your pictures. Did you have to glue/silicone the box in place? I'm acctually looking for something like this for my nano :)

I would really not recommend ceramic bits for acrylic. they can get clogged and ruined very easy.

The best tools for acyrlic, are drill saws, drills and grinding bits good for wood or soft metal.

Hey Undertheradar ... I saw your new overflow box ... do you think you could explain how you get the overflow box to stay in the tank? Did you glue it on or did you silicone it? It looks really clean. I sent you a PM did you receive it?

Thanks,

Steph

Undertheradar

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...&threadid=14508

StephG, I tried PMing that link to you but your box was full. The above link will show you that the box is in fact a brochure holder, and its held on by the parts that attach to the bulkhead in the back of it.

CU_Reefer,

I did the whole thing by hand...no need for all the milling. they are just holes after all. Bonding the pieces together and drilling the holes after I marked them with a sharpie and ruler took me 5 minutes.

Besides this, I also have a Mark 2. Mk2 has no holes, just the three pieces bonded together, but the middle piece is 1" shorter, but with the gap at the bottom, so that the water flows over the box edge and then under the baffle. I will have a 29g with a large built in overflow that will show this rather well.

Thanks undertheradar :) Where did you get your brochure holder? I want to try this but I think that this will be something that is relatively hard to find. Is there an alternative?

Did you just go in and ask them if you could have them? How much to ship one over to me? I made the hole for my overflow 1.5" from the top of the glass so I'd probly need one that is 3-4" high.

Undertheradar

Yeah, just walked right in and asked...but I know someone who works there and he gets them for me all the time. If you know of anyone working retail, they are your best bet.

Let me see if I have one already cut to that height...I should. If so I would just charge you shipping. (what, $5 ish?, oh wait, canada...hmmm, maybe a little more)

So do you think you can send me one of them? If so let me know as soon as you can and I'll paypal you the money. If not don't feel bad I'll try to find one somewhere else.

Thanks,

Steph

Archived