Care of Mantis shrimp

flickj79

I am about to get a mantis next week and was wondering what requirements these guys have and if they are a pretty hardy species? any help would be greatly appreciated

they'll survive anything those little pest! Feed them, don't : that's make no difference! The one i have in my tank eat anything and never die. I think she (i'm sure it's a female) will outlive me!

Good luck!

liquidfluidity

I originally cycled my tank with a mantis and then kept him for about 4 months after. Kind of interesting to watch. All I did was add some snails and some crabs for him to "play" with and fed him some krill every now and then. If you get smasher , you will want to keep some snails or crabs in with him. If you don't , he will loose his hammers from not using them. What fun would that be?! Anyways , if he does lose them , he may grow them back after a couple of molts. There is a slew of info on Reef Central in their mantis forum. Might check it out.;)

Easy set up is add sand then RO salt water let it sit for a day then your ready. I just got mine last week. Had the nano for over a year waiting. feed it what ever you like. i feed mine snails and ghost shrimp. I had a blue claw crab and it ate that to.

NVM no mantis for me, when the guy tore the tank down that was going to give it to me, he put it in a 20 gallon just until he could bring it to the fish store, AND IT DIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEDDDDD, I had been looking forward to getting that sucker, I even had a 5 gal setup bought 5 pounds of LR for 7 bucks a pund and then no mantis, oh well, I guess i can use the 5 gal as quarantine and maybe to cure small pieces of lr or maybe add some other type of unreef save invert

Lots of people end up with unwanted mantis shrimp here... I'm sure you can find someone to give you theirs. Just post a "wanted: mantis shrimp" post and keep an eye out for the "I think I have a mantis..." posts and you'll be good to go.

• 2 weeks later...

The main thing you should know about mantis shrimp is that they are very hardy and can withstand poor tank conditions. HOWEVER, they are very sensitive to solvents used outside the tank. Be wary of using cleaners, waxing the floor, etc.

I highly recommend mantis. They're a lot of fun!

Yeah, they're incredibly hardy -except- for chemicals. I put a heater in my mantis tank that had been exposed over 6 months ago to about 5 drops of formaline and malachite for less than six hours. It'd been rinsed thoroughly since, but the trace amounts were enough to off the mantis...nothing else in the tank so much as batted an eye.

Archived