ReefCleaners.org

Which MH bulb to use?

jstewart0

How come all my acro frags turn brown or tan after I put them in my tank?? Right now I have a 175 watt 6500 coralife MH about 10 inches from the water plus 3 13 watt actinic pc's. The water quality is great and my calcium is around 450. I would like to get more purples and blues out of my sps, which bulb should I go with? Hellolights has a 15000k bulb, has anyone tried that?

thanks

i've got a 10000K ushio too it's pretty good. but i use my mh on my hospital as an intensive care application rather than a breeding function.

i think steve tyree keeps his stonys under 20000K mh's and VHO's (i'm not sure if they're actinics though, i would assume so). he's the acro-pro. his acros are amazing! they look spray painted to me they're so colorful and glowing!

Tinyreef, he he said that it was 175w. The only 175 20k is coralife and they aren't good. Tyree uses 400w radiums(that is what I use to). Imo the only good 175 bulb is an ushio.

i'm curious, i hear a lot about people mixing hanging mh and vho/pc actinics... do you have to hang all of the lights in order to not block the mh?

Originally posted by jstewart0

How come all my acro frags turn brown or tan after I put them in my tank??  Right now I have a 175 watt 6500 coralife MH about 10 inches from the water plus 3 13 watt actinic pc's.  The water quality is great and my calcium is around 450.  I would like to get more purples and blues out of my sps, which bulb should I go with?  Hellolights has a 15000k bulb, has anyone tried that?

thanks

there was a similar ? over at RC like this. they said that the 65k seems to bring out more browns and yellows. they suggest the Radium brings out the best colors in corals ie: blues, purples, pinks and not browns.

Lunchbucket

URI are good VHO fer combos hoods

MH, I have to Ushio, Iwasaki 67 k and the new twin ended HQI... I DONT like the price of them, but Ive seen some nice reports on them.

yrureefing,

i heard tyree was using 400w too but i didn't know which one. doesn't surprise me on the radiums. but i thought he also used 175w's with vho's. i thought it was a little low too ??? but who the heck am i to argue next to him?

maybe he's dumped that all in favor of the 400w's now.

What degree kelvin lamps (MH) would you recommend to increase pigments in SPS corals?

That's not even mentioned in my book :> I have stated many times that 6500 K are the bare minimum. They will work fine, but they appear to be weak in violet light. That's why I recommend supplmental actinics. Some of the newer 10,000 K also have a weak violet problem. With 20,000 K you do not need supplemental actinic lighting. But they all three can work.

Do you think 1 55watt 6500k PC + 1 75watt super atinic VHO will suffice to light up a 30x12x18 (inches) reef keeping SPS?

A 28 gallon tank with 130 watts of lighting. Thats 4.6 watts per gallon. Should do okay, but I would recommend not trying the very shallow water SPS that typically are brought in from FIJI. They need 400 watters. Might try some slightly bronwish Jakarta corals. They can color up in time.

excerpted from here:

http://www.reefs.org/library/talklog/s_tyr...ree_110198.html

also, check out:

http://www.dfwmas.com/pdf_files/ReefJul02.pdf

Somewhere in one of these two articles I swear I saw him mention the lighting he suggests, wattage included.

couldn't find it tho.

Originally posted by tinyreef

yrureefing,

i heard tyree was using 400w too but i didn't know which one.  doesn't surprise me on the radiums.  but i thought he also used 175w's with vho's.  i thought it was a little low too ??? but who the heck am i to argue next to him?  

maybe he's dumped that all in favor of the 400w's now.

I have been to Steve's place of business. I think he told me he runs a few tanks on 20K radiums and some on 10K ushios.

I think it was just a regular standard ballast too.

dattack,

i'm jealous! how'd did his place look? did you get to see his filtration setups?

does he only use mh's? supplemental sunlight? vho actinics? did you see his clam tanks?

i've been trying to go see tropicorium in michigan. i've recently taken over the account of a client there. those two places are the two aquaculture places i've really wanted to see. :(

I use a 10,000k Aqualine AB bulb (175w). It's a crisp white with a nice tint of blue. I like the German made bulbs such as Aqualine and Ushio etc.. everyone has their own preference. Do what you think you would like best.

Yo Nano or anyone for that matter.... the 150 watt med base Iwasaki, any ideas on what ballast is recommended to fire it?

I have a 150 hqi ballast ... am either gonna do a DIY pendant and go with the 150 DE Radium or maybe the Iwasaki?????

Archived