ReefCleaners.org

Nano Cube Water Flow

LeVautRien

I've recently purchased a nanocube, and one thing I've noticed is that the water flow from the back part into the main part of the tank seems to be pretty minimal. I see the little pump pushing out water and everything, but the actual circulation inside the main tank doesn't seem strong. Is there a way to fix this problem...or is it maybe a problem of my own doing?

If you haven't already tried to adjust the pump, then do that. Just slide the bar so that it allows more water to enter the intake. Saying now that you have done the previous and you are still unsatisfied then your next option is to call marine depot, or who ever and buy a minijet 606 to replace the pump that is back there. All you have to is clip the little tie strap around the pump hose and then place it on the 606. Use a zip tie to secure it to the new pump and Volia....you have instant more flow.

OK, Some of you might think this is crazy, but i have two maxijet 404's on a wavemaker in the rear of my cube. The are on stock hangers at the center of the back wall and directed towards the bent glass. I get some great circulation and the livestock seems pretty happy.

I'm currently using a red sea wavemaster which will allow me to do he same thing when my 2nd backordered nano cube arrives. One on each side of the computer monitor!

I've not yet bothered to replace the stock return pump.

I replaces my 404 with a 606 in back & moved my 404 to the back wall under the outlet & gettong great water flow. My clown likes swimming into the current(like a tredmill)

Which way do you slide the bar on the pump? It started down, so I pushed it up to see what would happen, and I couldn't really see any effect.

Also, does it matter how high or low up in the nanocube the pump is placed? I've noticed that the pipe where the water goes back into the main tank is placed very low, but then I seem to get better circulation, at least in the filtration part, when the pump is placed higher...problem is that that increased flow back there doesn't seem to effect the flow back into the main tank.

I have my 404 about midway down on the right side of the tank with the pump running at 1/2 power(slide in the middle). It will take a little trial & error, just don't want to turn up alot of your sand if that's whats in your tank. Some corals & inverts don't like too much water movement. With my 606 in back, I installed lineloc plumbing on the nipple outlet with a y fitting to give me 2 directions to direct my flow into the tank with that running max. the 404 for added water movement.

Judging from some of the things I've heard, do some of you put your pumps in the main part of the tank and not the back? I simply assumed it belonged in the back, but I could be wrong...

A common thing to do to increase flow is to add a diffuser onto the return spout, not only will this push out water a bit faster, but if aimed at the top will help to break up top surface scum. I've also seen people keep the original pump in the back, but add a second pump in the main part of the tank on the opposite side to add extra cross current to make the water flow more chaotic.

I read that a guy only had a 606 returning water but put it on a wavemaker so that it went on and off every 20 seconds. It sounded like a good idea to me, but what do you guys think. Is it ok to have no circulation for 10 or 20 seconds?

Has anyone added a second pump to the back of the nano cube? Is it possible to place the additonal pump in the middle compartment and run a tube over the false back and down into the tank?

I added a rio 600, all the supplied plumbing ie. elbow/diffuser fit perfectly with all the jbj dx plumbing it was an easy install no cutting etc. i also removed all sponges and ceramic rings and built an adjustable acrylic weir or dam behind the surface skimmer to control the water level in the front of the tank, since i removed all the detritus trapping sponges which left more room and more flow thru my chemical filtration media , the addition of the adjustable weir helps to vary the flow in the main tank by raising it up or down every couple of days

what i did with my jbj was swap the rear pump with a minijet 606 then i got a masi jet 600 with some loc line that split into a y and i drilled holes in each segment and sealed the ends with aquarium silicone and i put the original pump on the left side of the tank. im debating on taking the original pump out completely and use it for mixing salt or something. if you want i can take some pics when i get my camera back. hth

Archived