Pod Your Reef

Do I need to feed this filter clam?

KevinS

The clam I got as a hitchiker on my live rock is definetly alive, he has now opened up. He is not a 'photosynthetic' type clam that needs light, but just a filter type. Question is, I only have water, LR, and some LS, and 1 astrea snail in the tank, does he need any type of food, or is there enough in the water already?

Thanks

Kevin S.

direct feeding wouldn't hurt. hell, who wouldn't love a nice meal served directly to them? Whenever I Do a feeding in the tank I make my wife watch me and I talk about how much my clams and corals love the meal I prepared specifically for them. She has yet to get the hint.

I do the same thing, my girlfriend wants t know why I won't cook for her. in my fresh water tank I have a emperor 400 which has huge media carterages. I fill them with very small mussles. It's a great natural filtration that results in nitrates than in a normal setup. If it can survive without extra feeding you will have a much cleaner natual tank.

Kevin,

I've also got a small clam in my tank - he's encrusted in my live rock. The little guy's only about 1/4 inch long, and he doesn't open up enough for me to feed him directly. I'm adding phytoplankton twice a week and keeping calcium at 350 now - we'll see if he makes it.

Ross

BustytheSnowMaam

I have a little guy down one of the holes in my LR and he has done just fine without any extras (9 month old tank) so you're probably ok leaving him be.

Tasha

Archived