Coral Vue Hydros

staghorn crab questions

c_hemmerich

Hey every body, i am just wondering about staghorn crabs and anyones expereince with them. They are soooo cool and just wondered if a 10 G is too small for one. i already have an emerald crab and an orange linkia starfish in there doing great.

Any advice would be great and if anyone knows where to pick one up online that would be good too

I have one. He WAS interesting. Their "shell" is some type of filter feeding colony creature so you need to have phyto or an established tank so it can grow. Mine actually ditched his shell for an old snail shell that was lying around. Little b@st@rd - now he looks just like all the other hermits.

• 6 months later...

I got the staghorn crab 2 days ago i put him in the tank hasnt moved an inch. should i be worried. please help thanks.

It's probably in shock... From transit and/or acclimation. I would be concerned. Try offering it a piece of fish, krill, etc... something meaty. It has to eat to live. If it refuses the food...

How long did you acclimate for? I would recommend at least an hour, slowly dripping in your tank water and removing the bag water.

20 minutes acclimation, lfs said hes very hardy. Im suprised hes still alive. I'm new at this so i got no fish or food in the tank all my levels are good just got some snails and crabs, I plan to add some clowns and gobies later on. what meaty food should i get that i can feed them all. thanks in advance.

My clown and hermit both like freeze-dried krill... I rip it into small pieces for the clown (this is not an everyday diet for the clown, only an occasional treat). The crab would also like a small piece of frozen silversides.

20 minutes is really short for an invert... Try longer acclimations in the future, it will avoid this shock phase that you are seeing.

Archived