Cultivated Reef

Eclipse Hood w/ 20g. Light/BioWheel Questions

metavurt

Hello all...

I've been reading for oh... the last 2 weeks on this forum and all of you have increased my knowledge exponentially. However, I have a small brain and a harder skull; therefore I have still more questions!

Here are my tank specs *today*:

20g - standard size

32w PC retrofit (SmartLamp) on Eclipse hood

1 Brown-Legged hermit (med. adult)

1 Featherduster (adult)

1 Yellow Tang (med. size)

2 Astrea

1 Blue Legged hermit

20+ lbs. LR

1 - 1.5" LS across entire bottom

I used to have about 15 snails, that was pre- brownlegged hermit. I have not had the light retrofit kit till recently.

I moved the tank from my home to the office about 2 months ago. I misscalculated just how many cab rides I would need to transport 50% of the water. (I live in Chicago). It was also Gay Pride Parade day and that didn't help traffic! Anyway... I believe I crashed the tank, but as I had experience in rescuing my tank during my first months learning, I thought "no prob". RIGHT.

I have yet to keep the algae from overtaking the tank since getting the lights. I dose with R/O water with added kalk. The coralline growth in my tank has continued to deteriorate. My levels are: 80F, 400 mg/l Ca, 8.2 - 8.4 pH, <10 Ni, 34-35 salinity.

Do I keep the bio-wheel? What can I do with this amount of light? What am I doing, or not doing right?

I know this is long and I appreciate all who read this. Any suggestions, ideas, commments would be appreciated. I'm sorry I don't have a pic, but I swear, it's not worth it right now!

-+vurt

the salinity number looks unusual ???

what's your alk level? that may be limiting your coralline.

i think you'll find a split decisions on the bio-wheel. with that tang in there i would recommend you keep it.

the light's a little low for a reef imo. some softies right under the light or shrooms should be ok.

you could upgrade to a 65w or go 2x65w for some hardcore lighting or take the plunge into mh. it's all about $$$.

may I suggest you remove that tang? not tryin to be an ass but tangs are realy hard to keep in a 20 galllon. they max out your bioload. why not get a clown, besides they have 100 times better personalities!

John... no, you're not being an ass... I've regretted getting the tang... i thought i was going to be getting a larger tank in the near future (a year ago) but then Mr. Unemployment hit us. So. Now my quandery is this: what to do with a yellow tang? Yet I know as long as i keep it, it's going to max my bioload day in/day out.

I need to get an alk test kit. I'm still learning, and am still budgeting to recover lost ground this past year. I have the impression that I cannot improve upon my situation without more $$$. Am I wrong in this thinking?

Thanks for your replies, much needed!

OH, and the salinity is driven from testing specific gravity with the cheap box type, then factoring in temperature and its affect using the chart in "Natural Reef Aquariums" by John H. Tullock.

Bad? Good?

If anybody can help and give me some more feedback on the scenario listed in my first post, I would still really appreciate it!

-+vurt

Most of us don't bother figuring out salinity, we just go by the specific gravity....

I'd get rid of the brown-legged hermit and get more snails.

BTW -- do you still have the lighting parts you ripped out of the hood? I could use them....

Tinyreef: how the heck do you put 65w in an Eclipse 2 hood?

sorry, actually i was originally thinking a csl hood 65w but you should be able to at least lay a 65w retro in diagonally (they're usually designed for 24" hoods). i think printer had mentioned that as an option on another size eclipse for someone else ??? it may fit in straight as well, but don't hold me to that, in order to do the 2x65w. i'm not sure on the width tho. btw 55w retros can also run the 65w ime.

Archived