Can I keep an anemone under 56w pc

Howf777

Originally posted by caseymou

I believe you would have to supplement the light with some type of target feeding such as shrimp or silversides.

Best to do both.

Carpets require a ton of light and also like a ton of food.

In a nano they would love to destroy everything in the tank by moving around and stinging every coral it could bump in to.

Maybe you could have a carribean flower anemone, I have 3 in my 10 gallon. They are only about as big as the eraser on a pencil. ( 4 or 5mm across) They don't move around much.

i think i might try a BTA, do they move around much? my tank is pretty stocked with corals, do you think that would be a problem, would they actually harm other corals for a preferable location?

thanks

imo bta's will move a lot unless they get fed frequently. so don't be surprised if it smothers a coral here and there every month or so.

Dr. Saltwater
Originally posted by format32

Best to do both.  

Carpets require a ton of light and also like a ton of food.  

In a nano they would love to destroy everything in the tank by moving around and stinging every coral it could bump in to.

I'm not telling that you're a liar but have you experianced this? We've kept RBTAs in Nano's and they were literally toutching the SPS, LPS and other corals but there was no bad reaction. The corals are still alive and the RBTA don't bother the corals at all.

• 2 weeks later...

My BTA is in the same place he first picked when he was placed there. he bothers nothing in the tank and is doing well in my nanocube with stock lighting.

As far as light being supplemented by food? I dont think its possible or I would feed the hell out my tank and quit saving for metal halides! you may make feeding easier and chance of a BTA thriving more by hosting it with a clown, crab, or a shrimp

As for the other two anemones I cannot say as for i have no real experience with them and I don't give advice unless I know somewhat what I am talking about (*cough* format*cough*)

I have to agree Dr. Saltwaer and Ebin, my BTA picked a spot, and will not move, even though I try to force it. My clown fish also loves it. I tried taking the BTA out along with the rock it was on, and the clown actually tried to leave the water with the anemone. I feed it a small piece of squid once a week.

Archived