Cultivated Reef

Does a skimmer really oxygenate the water that much?

belabaru

belabaru

Ok, ok, please be easy on me. I know it may be a dumb question , but it has been in my mind for a while now and I want it out.

Most people say that one of the benefits of having a skimmer is the level of water oxigenation you get from the micro bubbles.

But then, my stupid self says: "ok, the pump sucks the water into the skimmer´s body. Then the water is mixed with bubbles that keep going up until they get bigh and thick enough that they overflow into the cup. But the water stays there. Does not leave the skimmer´s body or, at least, not all of it. So how big the oxigenation can be if the water inside the skimmer is alway the same water?

Or does the water leave the skimmer by its bottom?

Do not be too harsh mates, just teach me

• Agree 1
  • belabaru changed the title to Does a skimmer really oxygenate the water that much?
mitten_reef

Q&A Series #9: What makes a "good" protein skimmer?

The skimmer pump continually draws in "new dirty water" > the water is mixed with the air intake, creating the bubbles in the collection chamber, rising to the cup > the "clean water" escape the skimmer simply by being replaced with the water being drawn in.  the process goes on.

It's not any of the bubble that you can see with naked eyes that is oxygenating the water, it's the absorption through air-to-water transfer, just like at the water surface.  But in this case, you're forcing the air-to-water interaction to happen more readily (forcefully?) than at a rather-still surface thru the surface of those tiny bubbles.  This is also why many also recommend higher surface agitation if no skimmer is used.  

the overall air exchange is also dependent on how much CO2 vs O2 is present in your home/tank space.  Some even uses CO2 filter at the air intake to ensure higher level of oxygen is being turned into bubbles.

• Like 3

View it as a filter. Water passes through it but rather than floss catching debris, the aeration catches the debris. In that process, oxygen gets dissolved into the water and flows back into the aquarium. 

• Like 3
anizato
On 6/17/2024 at 8:48 AM, belabaru said:

Ok, ok, please be easy on me. I know it may be a dumb question , but it has been in my mind for a while now and I want it out.

Most people say that one of the benefits of having a skimmer is the level of water oxigenation you get from the micro bubbles.

But then, my stupid self says: "ok, the pump sucks the water into the skimmer´s body. Then the water is mixed with bubbles that keep going up until they get bigh and thick enough that they overflow into the cup. But the water stays there. Does not leave the skimmer´s body or, at least, not all of it. So how big the oxigenation can be if the water inside the skimmer is alway the same water?

Or does the water leave the skimmer by its bottom?

Do not be too harsh mates, just teach me

the skimmer is basically replicating waves and sea foam that collects particles and brings them to shore/bay where it gets filtered out by filter feeders and mangroves, etc in this case you removing the skimmate (dirty mucky water) are acting as that last filtration, but instead of being a mangrove you are a person taking out skimmate and doing water changes.

• Like 2