Cultivated Reef

What are your favorite nano fish? (20g stocking ideas!!)

Dani_13563

Dani_13563

Hello everyone! I was looking for stocking ideas for a 20g Aqueon standard. It has not been started yet. I’m just looking for ideas. Igreen’s guide says 3-5 fish for a 20, so of course I want to do 5 haha.

Current idea:
- Clownfish pair (mocha storm and/or orange storm preferably but $$$)
- Orchid dottyback (not 100%)
- Tiger goby (for sifting sand)
- Wheeler’s goby & pistol shrimp pair

The dottyback and the tiger goby I am not 100% sold on! I love the color of the orchid and the usefulness of the tiger goby, but I know there are alternatives. What are some small, COLORFUL fish that might replace an orchid dottyback? Maybe a fourline, sixline, or pink-streaked wrasse? I LOVE pink/purple fish (hence the orchid and wheeler’s), but the more color the better! Should I keep it at four fish? I plan on using ocean live rock btw.

For CUC I just plan on keeping whatever (good) hitchhikers come with the rock. Might add more later.

For corals I don’t really have a plan as those seem far in the future for me, but probably just softies and zoas. Maybe some easy lps.

Thank you for reading!

• Like 1
Crawford_T

I recently added and then removed an Orchid Dottyback, way too aggressive. Beautiful fish, mine just wasn’t nice to tank mates. Clowns, goby and firefish seems like a solid plan. 

• Like 1
Dani_13563
4 hours ago, Crawford_T said:

I recently added and then removed an Orchid Dottyback, way too aggressive. Beautiful fish, mine just wasn’t nice to tank mates. Clowns, goby and firefish seems like a solid plan. 

Oh ok! I’ve heard like 50/50 on orchid dottyback aggression, so it may just be each fish’s individual personality. I’ll look into a firefish!

Airedale.Reef

I think you could get away with a pair of clowns, and the pistol/goby pair you mentioned above. I haven't stocked my own tank with fish yet, but leaning towards a pair of clowns and some kind of wrasse. Researching all things reef is half the fun for me! 

• Like 1
Dani_13563
14 hours ago, Airedale.Reef said:

I think you could get away with a pair of clowns, and the pistol/goby pair you mentioned above. I haven't stocked my own tank with fish yet, but leaning towards a pair of clowns and some kind of wrasse. Researching all things reef is half the fun for me! 

Exactly!! I have probably “wasted” (according to my parents) several full weeks of my life researching both freshwater and saltwater aquariums and fish! I could probably just do research and admire other people’s tanks and be somewhat satisfied! Lol!

What kind of wrasse are you interested in? I personally like the look of sixlines and Tanaka’s Pygmy wrasse.

Thank you for replying! :)

• Like 1
Staticmoves

A pair of clowns may be all that lasts, if the female decides to do the maternal thing. (just a heads up).

that includes your hand in the tank…..😉

if the orchid dotty back is to aggressive, a Royal Gramma may be a good alternative, and at least you get half the purple.

• Thanks 1
Airedale.Reef
4 hours ago, Dani_13563 said:

What kind of wrasse are you interested in? I personally like the look of sixlines and Tanaka’s Pygmy wrasse.

The possum wrasses seems to be a popular choice and the pygmy wrasse is pretty similar I think. Unique looking fish! I know the sixline can be a bit of a jerk, but fun to watch swim the length of the tank and hunt. The Pink-Streak, Carpenter, McCosker's Flasher, Lubbocks Fairy, and Mystery wrasse always catch my attention when I see them. 

Fun to research and compare. Seems like you are diving head first into the hobby like the rest of us! 

• Thanks 1

I personally dislike Clowns, particularly in a nano, for me, they are a little bit tedious. I want a fish that is active or has character. Clowns don’t do a great deal to hold my interest. And then they do that annoying digging in the sand. 🤬

• Thanks 1
ml86743

if you can find one, a pink streaked wrasse would be a great choice!  I love mine, very peaceful and full of energy!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Since I got a Hi Fin Checker Hawkfish it has become my favourite. This one is interesting. It gets around the aquarium and then sits waiting for some food. Always alert to what is going on.

IMG_6990.jpg

• Like 3
  • 4 weeks later...
Dani_13563
On 6/17/2024 at 8:04 AM, Kev1n said:

Since I got a Hi Fin Checker Hawkfish it has become my favourite. This one is interesting. It gets around the aquarium and then sits waiting for some food. Always alert to what is going on.

IMG_6990.jpg

Oooh pretty!! Love that red/pink!

Dani_13563
On 6/16/2024 at 6:02 PM, Staticmoves said:

A pair of clowns may be all that lasts, if the female decides to do the maternal thing. (just a heads up).

that includes your hand in the tank…..😉

if the orchid dotty back is to aggressive, a Royal Gramma may be a good alternative, and at least you get half the purple.

Would getting a single clown be better? I only wanted one originally, but I saw on different threads that people were saying a pair would be more fun to watch.

Dani_13563
Posted (edited)

What do you guys think of these possible stockings?

Stocking alternatives:

1.)single clown

black cap basslet

Wheeler’s goby/shrimp pair

2.)single clown

sixline wrasse

3.)single clown

pink-streaked wrasse (I have, since making this post, found out that a pink-streaked and four line are the same thing lol!)

4.)As of right now this is what my soul desires lol:

single clown

sixline wrasse

royal gramma (changed from black cap basslet)

wheeler’s goby/shrimp pair

I could possibly replace the wheeler’s/shrimp pair for a yellow watchman’s goby or a yellow clown goby.

Also: Would adding a sixline defeat the purpose of not having a mean female clown? I think they’re absolutely beautiful! But also don’t want a fish that’s going to cause a bunch of problems.

Thank you and congrats if you actually read this far! XD

Edited by Dani_13563
Staticmoves
58 minutes ago, Dani_13563 said:

What do you guys think of these possible stockings?

Stocking alternatives:

1.)single clown

black cap basslet

2.)single clown

sixline wrasse

3.)single clown

pink-streaked wrasse (I have, since     making this post, found out that a pink-   streaked and four line are the same thing lol!)

4.)As of right now this is what my soul desires lol:

single clown

sixline wrasse

blackcap basslet

wheeler’s goby/shrimp pair

I could possibly replace the wheeler’s/shrimp pair for a yellow watchman’s goby or a yellow clown goby.

Also: Would adding a sixline defeat the purpose of not having a mean female clown? I think they’re absolutely beautiful! But also don’t want a fish that’s going to cause a bunch of problems.

Thank you and congrats is you actually read this far! XD

Option 3 would be perfect.

my 2 cents….

• Like 1
  • Agree 1