Coral Vue Hydros

another lighting question

emt_guy14

Hello all, this is my very first post here!! I'm a regular over at oscarfish.com. I have no experiance at SW tanks, but I'm pretty good with FW. I'm looking into starting a 10 gallon nano tank, and I'd like some info about the lighting I'll need for it. The price can't exceed $200.00. I'll be adding LS, LR, and 2 clownfish. I need enough info on the lights so I can read it here, then go to petco and tell the fish guy everything that I'll need (they don't carry much in stock but can order almost anything)

Thanx..

BustytheSnowMaam

Hi-

On my 10 I have a 2x32 Custom Sealife 50/50 smartlite retrofit kit- half is an actinic bulb and the other half daylight. The model # on the bulb is 05162. I ordered it from this website when Chris (the webmaster) was still selling them for around $50. My corals, etc. seem happy and the tank looks great. You could e-mail him and ask either if he still has some or if he knows where one can order them. I just looked at the hellolights website and the ahsupply site and don't see it listed. I'm sure others here will have more ideas.

Tasha

I'm coming from a freshwater background too, and let me tell you things are a lot more different than you might think. First, go read the following:

http://www.nano-reef.com/articles/lighting.htm

That should help answer some of your questions about lights.

Then read all the other articles on this site. Then get a book on reef aquaria (I liked Tullock's "Natural Reef Aquariums" but I'm a newbie and it's the only one I've read so far). If you don't, you will be throwing that $200 out the window, if what everyone says here is true.

Steve

nope. Just sand, rock, and fish. I'm starting with the 10 gallon, and around christmas time I'm setting up a 90 gallon that I don't have a stand for yet. Then I'm moving My 2 oscars and pleco from their 46 gallon to the 90 and I'm thinking of using the 46 as a SW tank. Then I'll look into using coral. I've noticed on here that ppl with larger tanks have a seperate tank with a sump, and I'm not even about to figure out how all that works right now!

Archived