Top Shelf Aquatics

Would I harm coral if I turn my powerhead off and add an airstone for the night?

belabaru

belabaru

Hi there!

I do not want to spend the money in a wavemaker, for the time being, as I allready have a Tunze powerhead that I can use.

The tank is 15 gallon and the powerhead is 480gph.  

Everybody say that the powerhead is adequate for the tank. Some may say that it is even to small.

But I have a couple of small fish in the tank and they are surfing (or so I think)

My question is if it would be harmful for my future corals (the tank is newly set up so I have zero corals right now) if I turn off the powerhead (not adjustable in gph) and add and airstone for the night so the fish can "rest".

And will that matter or the fish simply  don´t care?

Thanks

geekreef_05

Its not an problem..

The fish will naturally find a lower flow area of the tank to sleep. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
mcarroll
On 6/12/2024 at 6:55 AM, belabaru said:

My question is if it would be harmful for my future corals (the tank is newly set up so I have zero corals right now) if I turn off the powerhead (not adjustable in gph) and add and airstone for the night so the fish can "rest".

Yes it would be harmful to corals – they depend on flow for feeding, respiration, et al.  

On 6/12/2024 at 6:55 AM, belabaru said:

And will that matter or the fish simply  don´t care?

Every hard object in the tank creates a kind of "flow shadow" where conditions are relatively calm.

Fish will find the best ones and sleep there.  

(They do sleep with their eyes open and, presumably, with their lateral line system engaged though!)

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...