SaltCritters.com

moving the tank from one city to the next

Flub39

Hey everyone, I am completely new, doing tons of research. What inspired me is my father-in-law bought a 125g tank and it is just so cool. I live in a tiny apartment and I am still in school. I will be graduating next may '05 and know for sure that I will be moving and most likely to another city. I really want a nano tank for my small apt. but if it isn't going to be worth it when I move then I had better wait. Anyone with experience with this? How portable would my tank be? I could have my father-in-law store stuff in one of his tanks until he coud ship it. Is this practicle? Any thoughts? Thanks for helping the newbie! ;)

I am going to be moving in about a month and I am worried about my nano. Basically what I plan on doing is removing every living thing, placing fish, inverts, corals in seperate bags with tank water. Then putting a majority of the tank water into a bucket or two with the LR. Then take everything over to the new place, set up the tank again, wait for the dust to settle, then slowly start adding livestock to it.

I really hope this works without losing anything. BTW this will all take place in one day. In fact, I'm actually planning on the nano to be the last piece of furniture that is going to be moved! :)

How far are you moving? Can you breakdown the tank and set it back up in a day?

JonPM is right. That's the best way of doing it. There is a real cool article in the Dr. Fosters catalog that I recieve every month. Well they tell you step by step on how to move an aquarium. They even mention that your fish tank should be the last thing you pack and the first thing you un-pack. That means set up your aquarium as fast as possible. By the way how many hours is that other city that you are going to? Me and JonPM live in Los Angeles and everything in Los Angeles is only 15 minutes away. LOL.

Thanks for the help guys. Obviously there are articles out there on it so it isn't completely impossible. JonPM, how long are you keeping your livestock out of the tank? Second, won't you have to wait for levels in the new tank to stabilize before you re-introduce your livestock to the tank? That is my main concern, the length of time the livestock has to be without a good tank to live in, say longer than 24 hrs, maybe 48. Any thoughts? Thanks for your help!

I would imagine the livestock would be out of the tank for roughly 3-4 hours. As Cesar said, keep your existing tank water, don't throw it out. I'm going to run airstones in the bag with my fish and corals.

Keeping as much water azs possible makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the advice. I wonder though, in my situation, the drive itself might be 3-4 hours. I guess if they are shipped from place to place in 24 hours and survive, I guess this would work. Well, this conversation has really got me intrigued! Now I just gotta see if my wife will go for it! Maybe I'll get my father-in-law to supply me the tank as a gift! ;) ANyway, thanks for the info! It'll help.

Archived