Cultivated Reef

pulsing xenia

hooked

During the day when my light is on the xenia do not pulse. I have noticed that about 5 minutes after my lights go out and the xenia start to shrink up they pulse like mad. Is this a normal thing? When lights are on the xenia extend nicely just like at the store but they do not pulse. They were pulsing at the store when I bought them. Just thought it was strange that they pulse when the lights are off.

Thanks for input, Jim

AReeferIsExpensive

xenia are moody with no explainations... so i want to answer "yes..it is a normal thing" I cant think of anything that could be really wrong to cause this behaviour but i can tell you that they pulse at different times...depending on how hungry they are and the flow..etc

Mine sometimes wont pulse for a day...mine sometimes will pulse all night, and sometimes they completely close up at night and shrink. This stuff is indestructable anyhow so i wouldnt worry about it one bit ;)

Xenia are not indestructible, they need high light, good water parameters and good water flow and they do not ship well at all, but once established in a tank grow like weeds and mine, they are mostly photosynthetic so feeding is not required

AReeferIsExpensive

i had some living in a bucket that was 68F w/ out topping it off for about a month...........

but the behaviour hes describing doesnt sound like a threat anyhow~

me and a friend of mine got some from the same colony, and his are short, and pulsing, mine stretch out, and wave around. they are the exact same frags we split, but act different in our respective tanks. we've both had them for months now, so I think xenia is just weird like that.

• 5 years later...
Michaelangelo

look into your alk level and PH.

When your light go out your Ph drops so if your Ph is too high to begin with that could explain thing.

My Xenia have started doing the same thing. Accept I notice they pulse a lot during the morning and early afternoon before the mainlight comes on, but I do have a lot of natural light in the room. I think they did pulse before with the main lights on. I will have to check my PH to see if there is something to that.

• 5 months later...

Hey everyone!

I just purchased some the other day...placed them pretty low in my tank, but from what i hear they are good for higher positions? I have the 28G JBJ HQI 150W MH and was wondering if anyone else with this tank has any xenia up high or down low?

i put mine down in the tank then they "crawled" up to the top of the rock. half of my tank became xenia i would stick it as high as possible and in alot of flow to try to control it a little good luck! it is a really sweet coral!

i put mine down in the tank then they "crawled" up to the top of the rock. half of my tank became xenia i would stick it as high as possible and in alot of flow to try to control it a little good luck! it is a really sweet coral!

Thanks, do u have similar lighting?

Thanks, do u have similar lighting?

no i have weak pc lighting and they have exploded. i think i would be very careful with high powereed lighting, keep the xenia in check early before it is a problem.

Archived