ReefCleaners.org

Clam and MH

xurifle06

Hi i have a nano cube and was thinking about getting a new canopy with a 70w MH and a 28 watt pc for acantic. Would this be enough to keep a crocea or maxima clam? thanks for all your help

I disagree. I think that given the right water parameters, and maybe some supplemental feeding (since the clam will most likely be pretty small) a crocea or maxima could do well under that set-up. I think that water parameters are more important than lighting, and then you can take it from there. Placement would also be an issue. That's just my opinion though. Obviously, it would be a better idea to supply as much light as possible, so that it wouldn't even be an issue. And since adding any kind of MH would require the removal of the platic hood, I would consider the 150 watt. Your taking less chancees and opening up even more possibilities with the 150 watt, for a limited increase in intitial cost. JMO.

BTW- a member on this board (H2C) is keeping a clam (a maxima I believe) under the stock DX lights. I would definitely not reccomend this but it just serves as an example of my point: other things affect how clams do in a tank-- not just light.

You can absolutely keep a maxima. I am doing so with great success with just 88 watts of PC and am also switching to a 70 de mh.

People have kept clams with far less light as well. Through my journies, I have come to the conclusion that light is very important, but water quality and feeding is right up there in importance.

BTW the 70 watt MH is intense as hell on the nanocube. Personally I feel 150 would be overkill and heat isues would offset any benefit.

When I get my new conopy I will post. I was made by MattGecko.

I too have a cube, and while I am waiting to set my 30 gallon up, I am going to put my 150 watt DE over it. It is absolutely over kill for such a shallow tank. If you were to build a small pendant with a 70 watt 10,000 K DE metal halide along with that 24 watt actinic you would have a great deal of light, and a tank that would support any critter you wanted.

One thing I have to say is alot of times people on the boards(not pointing any fingers) will say the more light the better, but at some point it becomes way too much. I once asked if 250 would be too much and was told no way...over a nano cube.

Anyway, here is the thing, after you build you a little pendant you can make the back compartment into a fully functioning fuge, hell I have plans to put a SCWD back there with a mag drive 3 just for kicks. Also Aqua C is in the process of making their Nano sized remora Skimmer so be on the look out for that. With those mods you tank would be the ####. You would have one hell of a cool cube, and not to mention you could build your pendant complete with a little moon light...just don't for get the UV protected glass.

Many people keep clams with PC lights. You do not have to have mh to keep clams, or corals. in a nano, you need to worry about overkill in your light that could cause sunburn to your inhabitants.

NanoReefTexas

I wouldn't recomend a maxima for a nano, due to the fact that given the conditions they need to grow and thrive, they'll get up to 12" eventually. Croceas only get 6-7" in captivity, they would be a better choice, simply considering size, and we all know how space is at a premium in a nano. Also, while you don't need MH for a clam to survive, don;t look for it to thrive, any experianced clam keeper will tell you that. Most of the people keeping them under PC's haven;t even had them for a year yet. Clams can look great while they're slowly starving, and all of a sudden die for what seems like no reason. Croceas are the most unforgiving and light demanding of the tridacna clams though. If you want to attempt them under PC's and are determined, nothing anyone experianced has to say is going to stop you, I would advise you though to check out the Clams Direct forum and talk to the real clam experts with real, multiple year experiance before investing. Clams are not cheap! Well, the dull "gold" maximas and less pretty ones are, but if you want blues, and purples, etc... words to the wise, protect your investment. And if you do put MH on a nano, be ready to invest in a chiller if necessary.

That is excellent advice and a point I neglected to bring up. Yes they can survivve under pc, but probably won't thrive as NanoReefTexas points out. I have had my maxima for about 4 months with the 88 w pc and it has been great with new growth and no problems. I do want it to thrive so I though wtf lets go MH. I am so happy I did! The new MH I have adds a dimension to the tank I never dreamt of.

I am sure the clam will only get happier.

crocae in my opinion are the most nano friendly clams cuz they only get 6 inches big and since they love being put on lr you could put them high up and they'll do fine but you might need a calc reactor they go through caLC like crazy.

NanoReefTexas

A CR is a great idea any time you have SPS and/or clams, but it's not a requirement. However, if you don't have one, be ready for your tank to be VERY labor intensive on adding calcium constantly. You can make your own kalk dripper/auto top off ALOT cheaper than buying a real CR, or you can buy something like the Kent Aqua Doser. A real CR from My Reef Creations for example with all the equipment costs roughly $400 for the nano one. If you're into DIY, check this option out:

http://www.reefwebsites.com/agu/kalkdrip/

Unsubscribing now.

Archived